Residency in USA back to Canada..?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Crab

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would it be wise for me to do this way as the Green Card system in states as retrogressed so much though i am only in second year of residency at prsent ,being a PR of Canada .
Is the situation good after the US residency or is it the same hell which i went thru for my first two years of stay in canada ,passing every damm exam of theirs to only hear no spots?

Is there any hope that things will be current in US system in 2007 when i will be eligible for a job and a Green Card scnerio..? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Where did you go to med school? I believe the issue of immigration is somewhat separate from the process of residency matching. In other words, I believe US residencies are completely fine if you went to a US or Canadian med school. You'll be able to post into the first round of matches (US schools are not considered "international"). That having been said, your immigration status might disadvantage you if you aren't a Canadian citizen and you could end up in the IMG match anyway, even with a NAmerican degree.

I'm pretty sure the immigration issue is more challenging than the IMG issue (if you're an IMG). The Canadian reception to IMGs is improving all the time (though still differs from Province to Province) and I believe you can or will be able to post into the first round of matches as an IMG (from Commonwealth countries, anyway)-- first in the Maritimes or Prairies and maybe later in On or BC, *IF* you are a Canadian citizen.
If you're a PR, can you go for citizenship? I did. Hope this helps.