Residency Information

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by MDbound, Jun 2, 2000.

1. MDbound

MDbound New Member

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if somebody can help me understand a copy of terms. I am not sure by what is meant by DO schools. Are certain schools designated as DO and others as standard medical schools?

Also, what are the most competitive residency programs in the States? What kind of preparation in medical school is required to be competitive for these programs (USMLE step 1 percentile, research papers etc). Right now, I am looking into cardiology, neurology, orthopaedic surgery, and ophthalmology. I would appreciate any information that you provide. Thanks very much.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Sheon

Sheon Senior Member

4. MSUCOM2003

MSUCOM2003 Member

TO MDBOUND,

The Doctor of Osteopathic medicine degree (DO) is granted by Schools of Osteopathic medicine. The degree, education system, and profession is separate from, but functionally equal to the Allopathic profession and education system (what you refer to as "standard" medical schools that award the MD degree). In addition to the above links, you can also check out the AOA website (www.aoa-net.org) for more info.

5. young guy np

young guy np Member

This is the residency site for DOs.

<a href="http://opportunities.aoa-net.org/residencies/residency.htm">here</a>

young guy np