Residency/intern confusion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dave

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is an intern year required on top of a residency? Does an intern year count towards residency? I have a friend that graduated this spring and will start a dermatology residency next year. He is currently doing an intern year of general practice? Is this typical? I am planning on family practice, will I have a 1 year internship and 3 years of residency? How does all of this work? Also will I get paid as an intern?

Thanks,
Dave

Members don't see this ad.

"Internship" simply refers to the first year of residency. For some specialties (like dermatology), you have to do a preliminary year of training in general medicine or surgery before you start your residency in that field. Since interns are residents, they do get paid.

As for family practice, I would think you'd go straight into the residency (where, for the first year, you'd be referred to as an intern).

When people talk about how many years of residency training are involved in a specialty, they usually automatically count the intern year as part of that. Therefore a 3 year residency in FP implies a 1-year internship and 2 years as a resident. Also, interns are still considered residents, as Becket said.

Members don't see this ad :)
The concept of intern/resident has changed since the abolition of a true rotating internship year that was standard until 25 years ago. Interns now are just simply first year residents in their specialty. The few remainging "transitional" residency positions in the match come close to what the older system was like

Originally posted by Dave:
•Is an intern year required on top of a residency? Does an intern year count towards residency? I have a friend that graduated this spring and will start a dermatology residency next year. He is currently doing an intern year of general practice? Is this typical? I am planning on family practice, will I have a 1 year internship and 3 years of residency? How does all of this work? Also will I get paid as an intern?

Thanks,
Dave•

My husband is completing his residency is Family Practice Medicine. Residency for FP is 3 years in length, including Intern year.

Christy