1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Residency, Internship and Fellowship

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by waimea, Jul 20, 2000.

1. waimea

waimea Junior Member

Still learning a lot of what to expect while taking that path to becoming an MD. I noticed that for some specialities, there is a combination of a residency, internship and fellowship tenure. What is the distinction among the three types? Why is a fellowship needed when someone has already invested 3 or more years of training in a residency program? I apologize if this question should have been posted in the premed forum. Aloha.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Carbon Klein

Carbon Klein Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Internship is the first year of your residency. A lot of specialties use either medicine or surgery for their internship.

Residency is the actual post grad training.

Fellowship is specialized training in a particular field...ie. your residency of general surgery can lead to a cardiothoracic surgery fellowship.

[This message has been edited by Carbon Klein (edited 07-20-2000).]

4. jawurheemd

jawurheemd xx ToXiC xx
    10+ Year Member

internship -- the first year out of med school

residency -- formal training in an area -- may include the internship year

fellowship -- done after residency for further specialization

So, let's say that I wanted to become a cardiologist. I would need to go through 4 years of medical school, 3 years of residency (this includes the intership year), and 3 years of a cardiology fellowship.

Hope this helps