Residency interviews compared to medical school interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nona1

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sounds like people go on a lot of residency interviews- is it much easier/less competitive to get a residency interview than a med school interview?

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on the residency program and medical school. Some fields are incredibly competitive, and some schools/states are.

In general, most people are expected to rank at least 10 programs with the NRMP for the residency match. Obviously, you have to go on at least 10 interviews to do so. It is not unheard of for people to apply to 20-30 or more programs and interview at more than half of those. I quit in the mid teens...I was exhausted.

Moving to General Residency Forum...

I'm not sure whether it is really more or less competitive to get an interview for residency (I guess it depends on what you're applying to), but I would guess it is less, but it is really comparing apples to oranges. you pretty much know you will get a decent number of interviews if you apply to the right programs, and your school should help you create a list of places to apply. In general, community programs are less competitive than academic, but it depends who is at the program (faculty wise) and what you actually do in training. I saw some pretty crappy academic programs, and a few good community (but I didn't go to many b/c it wasn't what I wanted) I guess you will almost always get a few residency interviews in almost any specialty, no matter how bad you are (if you are a US grad), that isn't really true for medical school though (thinking back)

nona1 said:
Sounds like people go on a lot of residency interviews- is it much easier/less competitive to get a residency interview than a med school interview?

Are you Nona from UCLA ???