Residency: Iowa vs Duke vs Yale vs Miami

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BrainFart

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any thoughts on the quality of these 4 training programs esp in regards to
(1) malignancy,
(2) quality of teaching,
(3) happiness of residents, and
(4) research ops?

Thnx!
- Brnfrt

:scared:

Members don't see this ad.

Miami-
1)not malignant
2)residency happy? when they arent working they are happing being in Miam somewhat--i.but likely you cant live very close to hospital- not safe- ...crazy drivers . feel slike you arent in the US. bu thats your personal preference
When working they are in a crap-hole hospital thats one of the busiest and craziest in the country- not to mention english pretty useless there- not exagerating
3)not stressed in residency program but research is there to do-- but i cant imagine you would have the time
4) like anywhere a few great teachers- you'd have to figure which ones they are- lots of otehrs not so interested

the more i learn bout miami, the more i realize its busy as hell (AKA - malignant), but on the up & up.

what bout duke, iowa, yale?

Members don't see this ad :)
I dont associate busy with Malignant- maliginant to me is azz-hole attendings, step on your back residents etc. Definitely NOT the case at Miami. residents are very much a team and in it together. And all the faculty I met on my month rotation were very friendly, treated residents like colleages and very good teachers. So again don't confuse busy with malignant

I'd hope Sacco joining them as chair does not bring the "New York" attitude, but that remains to be seen.

Last edited:
So how bout Iowa vs Duke?

Havent been able to learn as much about Yale, but my impression is bit more negative than the other three on this list. Seems like a scut-work type program with a glitzy name.

- brnfrt

Well, I can't speak for the other programs (I didn't interview at any of them), but I'm a resident at Iowa. So I guess that makes me both an expert and completely biased at the same time (as we've seen from the flood of postings after any program gets maligned on these boards). :rolleyes:

(1) Malignant? Nope. Not at all. This is the Midwest. That's not how we do things.

(2) Teaching quality? I'm not as sure on this one, as I'm just an intern yet. My sense is that it is good. The main daily ones are stroke rounds each morning and varying noon conferences, but there are also subspecialty ones at other times if you have an interest. Some residents on inpatient services keep busy enough that it can be tricky to fit in both.

(3) Are the residents happy? Yep. Does everyone get along with everyone in a glowing celestial hugfest? Of course not. There is periodic interpersonal drama here and there. And since call is frontloaded, 2nd year residents have it the toughest (good thing the intern year isn't too bad). But as a whole, the quality of life here is pretty good: nice people + nice hospital setting + easy town to live in = happy residents. And hey, the program (and thus, the call pool) just increased to 6 residents/year, so even the 2nd year is getting easier.

(4) Research ops? I'm not a huge research person, so I'm not the best person to ask. My understanding is that Iowa has a large basic neuroscience contingent, and there are plenty of opportunities for those that want them. I think there's a lot of behavioral stuff especially, since most of the people who worked with Damasio stayed here when he left. But I think there are solid opportunities in other fields, too. I'm not sure about 6-month research electives or other options - I haven't been interested in doing that, so I don't know about the possibilities. The more research-y residents haven't seemed to have any problems, as far as I know.

So yeah, I'm pretty happy here (and that's even after coming here from the oft-touted California). Definitely worth a visit to see if it fits you.

Sir Elroy- I dont know Iowa specifically but what you say sounds spot on for most of the VERY GOOD midwest programs.

Curious what kind of pay do you get PGY1-PGY4?

miami i heard sucked, had a friend that left the program:thumbdown:thumbdown

duke is somewhat malignant, but good name and training:thumbup::thumbdown:

iowa is good training, excellent for stroke, not malignant, friend went there (he's a stroke fellow now here in sunny CA) :thumbup::thumbup:

dont know yale:idea:

Last edited:
what you talkin bout trdbrglr??

not sure what you mean cruzie...

i call bs to this.. i'm a resident at UM.. and the only resident that has left within the last few years is a resident who left to new orleans join her husband

miami i heard sucked, had a friend that left the program:thumbdown:thumbdown

:

Sir Elroy- I dont know Iowa specifically but what you say sounds spot on for most of the VERY GOOD midwest programs.

Curious what kind of pay do you get PGY1-PGY4?
Next year the scale goes from 45.8 to 51.1K, though that'll be more year-to-year with cost of living raises. So it's not as much as a lot of big city places, but it goes WAAAAAY further here. You can rent an apartment for $500-$1000/month, and easily buy a house or condominium for <$200K (or even <$150K). You could be a married with kids intern on a single income and still buy a house, if you stretched things.

As for Miami, I just have to tip in a reminder that there was also a resident that left and came to Iowa a few years ago. Granted, they're an R4 now, so certainly things may have changed between then and now. I don't know if there are others that trd is referring to.

hi

Last edited:
Wow trdbrglr. You sure know alot of people. Afferentville must be a pretty happening place!

hi

Last edited:
Yes, you are mistaken Azn, a resident left 3 years ago to go to Iowa. Also, a resident who is now a fellow at Cleveland Clinic left Miami and joined Iowa...I believe 7 years ago. Not sure why they left though. Since I went to Cleveland, I know this to be true. For what it's worth, her classmates got fellowships at Cleveland Clinic, NYU, UCSF, and Iowa...sounds like a pretty good outcome for the residents there. They have another guy coming to CA next year to do stroke fellowship at Stanford. As for pay, Sir Elroy, that's about $8K more annually that several friends of mine currently.

hmm.. can't say i'm familiar with any of those aforementioned residents.. the only resident i know who went to cleveland clinic went to cleveland clinic florida last year for a neuromuscular fellowship... the residents you speak about are possibly before my time as a neurology resident.. btw.. i don't know any of our current graduating residents who is going to stanford for stroke..

Hey, Sir Elroy. Go ask Tony if he exists.

hi

Last edited:
Cleveland Clinic for epilepsy 2 years ago..stanford is apparently a next year graduate. Ask around elroy, he does exist. The burglar speaks only truth.

Posted via Mobile Device

i'm not sure where you're getting your info from.. but there's no one in my class (i am a resident who will be graduating next year) who is going to stanford for stroke.. of the 8 residents graduating next year.. only 3 residents (including myself) will be doing fellowship outside of UM.. and none are at stanford..

i'm not sure where you're getting your info from.. but there's no one in my class (i am a resident who will be graduating next year) who is going to stanford for stroke.. of the 8 residents graduating next year.. only 3 residents (including myself) will be doing fellowship outside of UM.. and none are at stanford..

t

Last edited: