osu2006

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 19, 2003
Columbus
Status (Visible)
I'm an Ohio resident and looking at schools to apply to. I had sort of discounted University of Cincinnati just because I didn't want to live in that city, but in driving through there yesterday I realized I really like the Kentucky side of Cincinnati. So, since many of the functions of Cincinnati are in Kentucky and it's one big metropolitan area (the main example being the airport located in Kentucky), can I maintain my residency for Ohio, go to UC and live just over the river in Kentucky? Another school with a similar situation is U of Toledo which could potentially cause you to live in Michigan.

Does any one have knowledge or experience on this. We were ideally looking to buy a house wherever I get in and we were looking to buy out in the suburbs/country? Any answers are appreciated.

mlw03

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 15, 2003
Canada
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
my advice would be to contact the school's student affairs office. each state has its own set of residency requirements, and the student affairs people would be the ones to help you with the specific ones for their state. it's an interesting question though, so i'll be interested in what the answer turns out to be.

kasimagore1

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 16, 2002
Status (Visible)
You can live whereever....as long as your reported official mailing address is in Ohio (eg. use your parents's address). No body is going to have the energy, manpower or money to start an investigation on whether you are living at the ohio or KY side of cincinnati.

About the Ads

Hallm_7

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 18, 2002
Status (Visible)
  1. Post Doc
I may be completely wrong about this, so check to make sure. It seems like I read on here somewhere or somewhere else that Cincy considers certain Kentucky counties as instate tuition. So much of the Cincy area is actually in KY that it makes sense. I know for a fact that KY schools extend tuition benefits to certain areas of neighboring states such as TN, IL, IN, and OH, so maybe Ohio does the same.

osu2006

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 19, 2003
Columbus
Status (Visible)
I did some more checking yesterday once I made my post and it seems that there is a reciprocity agreement b/t U of C and some KY counties, but I could only find it for the undergraduate college and it didn't say anything about the medical school. As far as Toledo is concerned, they have the same sort of deal w/ a county just inside of Michigan.

If anyone else has any more experience on this, chime in. Thanks for all of the replies so far.

taehong81

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 23, 2003
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
in the interview, the tour guide said that you can live in northern kentucky and get instate intuition. He said that some of his friends live there and pay in-state tuition.

TysonCook

15+ Year Member
Aug 19, 2002
Salt Lake City, Utah
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
IF YOU ARE ALREADY A RESIDENT OF OHIO then you don't need to worry about it. Just make sure that when you initially submit your forms, they have your Ohio residence listed.

IF YOU ARE NOT ALREADY A RESIDENT OF OHIO you MUST live in the OHIO side of Cincinnati for the first year to get in state tuition.

Also, there are several areas (Mt. Adams) that are really nice and close to school that are on the Ohio side.

Hope this helps, and as always, just call the admissions office for any advice, they are super nice. The main person to ask for for financial stuff is Dr. Daniel Burr, or his asst. Debbie Kaffenberger. Dr. Burr is better.

osu2006

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 19, 2003
Columbus
Status (Visible)
Thanks for the information. I don't really have to worry about this for another two years, but it's good to get some info now.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.