Residency Issues

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

silkworm

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here is my situation: I went to school in CA for two years, and paid CA-state taxes in the last year. Now I am back in Oregon. I am applying for med school right now but my residency status has become murky. I know that CA schools won't regard me as resident since I was a full-time student during my stay there. I called OHSU (Oregon Health Science U), and the person suggested that since my last tax-return is from CA, they may not regard me as Oregon resident either. So it seems I am in limbo and my only option is to grin and bear it and stay in Oregon another year to be considered a resident. Is there anything else I can do? Has this happened to anyone else?

Members don't see this ad.

Did you keep your driver's license in Oregon? Bottomline is that you have to be a resident somewhere. I moved to California for a while from South Carolina for a little while, and while I lived in Cali, I retained my original
SC state citizenship, even though I paid California taxes.

When you filled out your California tax forms, you did so as a resident of another state, didn't you (i.e. there is a box where you mark yourself as a resident of another state, not California)?

I am not claimed as someone else's dependent. My driver's license is still from Oregon. I don't remember the details of the tax return, though what you said would make sense. Still, I have suspicion that med schools will find any excuse to weed out candidates, so if they take one look of my CA tax return they will move me to the out-of-state pile. But thanks for the help.