Residency Liability Insurance State to State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Newdoc2002

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to do a FM residency rotation in Texas from Tennessee. TN doesn't want to cover me in TX and Texas wants to use it's underwriting coverage to cover me at about $7K for one month :eek: .

Has anybody else had a residency insurance problem going into Texas from out of state? or from state to state?

Thanks

PS - I have no marks on my record.

Members don't see this ad.

Newdoc2002 said:
I'm trying to do a FM residency rotation in Texas from Tennessee. TN doesn't want to cover me in TX and Texas wants to use it's underwriting coverage to cover me at about $7K for one month :eek: .

Has anybody else had a residency insurance problem going into Texas from out of state? or from state to state?

Thanks

PS - I have no marks on my record.

a lot of residencies don't like their residents to do "outrotations" for a variety of reasons, the big one being that they can't get paid medicare money for your service during a time you are not rotating in their system.

nonetheless, if the out of state experience is one for which there is nothing comparable in your home program, than many times the graduate medical education committee at your school will approve an outrotation and will set up cross-institutional coverage.

if your insurer isn't willing to cover, you may really want to consider whether or not you REALLY want to do that rotation. you should not have to pay to do it.

good luck