Residency locations where a car is not needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NYCMS2

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Or more realistically where a car is minimally needed?

I know about NYC, so don't bother with those.

I want input on locations where the need for a car is minimal. As in, I drive a short distance from home to work, park it, and don't get back in the car again until I go back home.

Or better yet, I ride the bus, or tram, or subway to and from work, and have no need for a car during the day.

Nirvana for me: I don't need to own a car, period. Does this exist anywhere outside of most NYC programs?

And IF a car is necessary, programs where there is sufficient parking for residents? I have heard some nightmarish stories about some places (nightmarish to me, at least). For example, UW in Seattle sounds like a nightmare to someone like me who loathes cars and driving and bad parking.

Thanks in advance from a city person who has never owned a car and has only driven enough to pass the road test for a license...

Members don't see this ad.

I want input on locations where the need for a car is minimal. As in, I drive a short distance from home to work, park it, and don't get back in the car again until I go back home.

Or better yet, I ride the bus, or tram, or subway to and from work, and have no need for a car during the day.

Nirvana for me: I don't need to own a car, period. Does this exist anywhere outside of most NYC programs?

And IF a car is necessary, programs where there is sufficient parking for residents? I have heard some nightmarish stories about some places (nightmarish to me, at least). For example, UW in Seattle sounds like a nightmare to someone like me who loathes cars and driving and bad parking.

Thanks in advance from a city person who has never owned a car and has only driven enough to pass the road test for a license...

Yeah - you don't need a car at Yale if you live either downtown New Haven, or in the East Rock neighborhood. I would say about 60% of residents live in these areas. The shuttle system will get you where you need to be, and I didn't have a car for the first six months and did fine living in the East Rock neighborhood. The only inconvenience was getting to the VA - I still took a shuttle, but it could sometimes mean a 40 minute commute. People who live downtown walk 90% of the time, and only rely on the shuttle to get to the VA which takes about 20 minutes.

If you do have a car, there is always parking available, either free (if you are working at the VA or CMHC), or $62 a month if you are at Yale-New-Haven Hospital.

Hope that helps!

why in the world(especially a guy if you are a guy) would someone not want to own/drive a car? It's one of the coolest things to do and think about out there......

Members don't see this ad :)
why in the world(especially a guy if you are a guy) would someone not want to own/drive a car? It's one of the coolest things to do and think about out there......

I guess the OP is not averse to owning a car as much as the idea of having to drive a lot to get to different training sites, dealing with traffic, having to find parking all the time, etc, in which case I share his concerns. Its great to have a car but to also have the option of walking or taking a shuttle and not having to worry about any of these things.

I guess the OP is not averse to owning a car as much as the idea of having to drive a lot to get to different training sites, dealing with traffic, having to find parking all the time, etc, in which case I share his concerns. Its great to have a car but to also have the option of walking or taking a shuttle and not having to worry about any of these things.

but for many people driving is entertainment.....downshifting as you grip hard coming out of wicked bend is fun. Has our country/cultured been camcordized to such a point that guys don't care about this anymore? If so, that's unfortunate.....

Exactly this. Cars are great for pleasure driving and independence, but if I can get by without one for most of the work portion of my life, I will be a happy camper.

My brother lives in Chicago without a car; when he has to have one, he uses Zipcars. All of his friends have cars, and all they do is bitch about getting tickets, getting their cars towed, circling for hours looking for a space, and surviving winter snows and the problems associated with car ownership. Every time he thinks about getting a car, all he has to do is ask a friend about it...

Yale sounds like a great option, thanks.

Exactly this. Cars are great for pleasure driving and independence, but if I can get by without one for most of the work portion of my life, I will be a happy camper.

My brother lives in Chicago without a car; when he has to have one, he uses Zipcars. All of his friends have cars, and all they do is bitch about getting tickets, getting their cars towed, circling for hours looking for a space, and surviving winter snows and the problems associated with car ownership. Every time he thinks about getting a car, all he has to do is ask a friend about it...

Couldn't agree more. And yes, Yale is a good option for someone wanting to minimize driving related frustrations. Doesn't hurt that it is an also an awesome program ;-)

So I don't get it...let's say you date a woman....do you actually say "hey, you want to go out tonight? I can check with zipcars and see if the aveo is on hold".

I've lived in large cities before(not nyc granted) above M-D line before, and never have I thought I could get by and like it without a car.

Train somewhere where you can drive a car comfortably, and get something tremendously cool. Here is a suggestion....

http://www.edmunds.com/cadillac/cts-v-coupe/2012/

NYC is your best bet, but in UC San Fran I think you can get by. Not sure about Chicago. Definitely not Los Angeles.

but for many people driving is entertainment.....downshifting as you grip hard coming out of wicked bend is fun. Has our country/cultured been camcordized to such a point that guys don't care about this anymore? If so, that's unfortunate.....

You may be surprised to learn that not everyone thinks like you. One reason I really want to be in NYC is so that I could avoid driving most of the time. I actually enjoy walking and taking the subway. I have no problems with parking at my program, but driving can be annoying sometimes.

I definitely share this sentiment with the OP. Any thoughts on necessity of having a car in Boston?

for boston just check the T routes. If nothing goes directly to the hospital, then you may be stuck taking a bus.

You can definitely get by without a car in Boston and it really sucks driving there...but you should live in a place that gives you good access to BUMC , MGH, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
I definitely share this sentiment with the OP. Any thoughts on necessity of having a car in Boston?

Re: Boston, it really depends on the program. I think MGH/McLean would be tough without a car as getting to McLean by public transit is a pain, but you should talk to some of the residents more if you interview there.

I would guess that Cambridge is do-able without a car. I'm at Longwood and there is generally at least one resident in each class without a car.

I'm not sure about BMC. I think you would want a car to get to some of their sites (Bournewood, Bedford VA) but didn't interview there so can't comment with more specificity.

Real men ride horses bareback. Cars and saddles are for men who have been camcordized.

Real men ride horses bareback. Cars and saddles are for men who have been camcordized.

nonsense....horses, just like walking or riding a bicycle, have a lack of firepower....

buy a real car and arrive that way. ..

You may be surprised to learn that not everyone thinks like you. One reason I really want to be in NYC is so that I could avoid driving most of the time. I actually enjoy walking and taking the subway. I have no problems with parking at my program, but driving can be annoying sometimes.

this doesn't compute. Yes, driving in a chevy aveo can be annoying/boring. By driving in a real car? Hardly.

I'm as puzzled by someone they dislike cars and driving as I would be by someone saying they dislike sex, money, good food, or fun in general.

Portland, OR is livable without a car. The public transportation is convenient and plentiful, you can bike to work from most areas, and there are plenty of neighborhoods with a lot to do within walking distance. 3rd year is the only year where having a car might be necessary, as some clinics are in the suburbs (but you typically spend the whole day there). I own a car here, but haven't actually driven in almost a month.

this doesn't compute. Yes, driving in a chevy aveo can be annoying/boring. By driving in a real car? Hardly.

I'm as puzzled by someone they dislike cars and driving as I would be by someone saying they dislike sex, money, good food, or fun in general.

Some people don't like to get to get stuck in traffic. They don't like to look for parking every day. They don't like to worry when their car has broken or got hit and when they need to repair it. Yes, driving is cool but that's only true on open spaces, not on most public roads needed to commute from home to work. There, it's boring and stressful. People buy cars and take loans to get them usually because they're a necessity for communication, not because they're oh-so-enjoyable like sex or food. Not to mention the nasty air they have created. Tell to someone in LA how enjoyable it is to drive and getting stuck in traffic for hours every day. Or the smog they have to deal with.

Yes, you're such a real man that you need to express all that overflowing manhood in your driving and in a manly looking car. Some people may want to express it in other things, and not in having to deal with the hassle of owning a car. Or they have other priorities in life. Or they aren't really pressed to validate their manhood by buying an expensive $50K car.

I can't believe I'm trying to explain why someone may want to avoid driving cars.

Last edited:

All of these quite accessible during one's daily commute in NYC. (Dude will meet a lot more chicks riding the subway than while thinking he looks cool in his insecuritymobile).

Last edited:
All of these quite accessible during one's daily commute in NYC. (Dude will meet a lot more chicks riding the subway than while thinking he looks cool in his insecuritymobile).

This :laugh:

The recommendations so far are very helpful. Thanks.

Can anyone comment on the relative car burden for the following:

UCLA
Hawaii
Brown
Maine Med Center
WPIC
Emory

The recommendations so far are very helpful. Thanks.

Can anyone comment on the relative car burden for the following:

UCLA
Hawaii
Brown
Maine Med Center
WPIC
Emory

Emory is a no doubt about it need a car place.

Some people don't like to get to get stuck in traffic. They don't like to look for parking every day. They don't like to worry when their car has broken or got hit and when they need to repair it. Yes, driving is cool but that's only true on open spaces, not on most public roads needed to commute from home to work. There, it's boring and stressful.

A person can still enjoy the heck out of driving and NOT want to commute to work. You actually just described why I will only consider a <5mi / <10min commute. On weekends I jump in my car and take it out on windy roads, but during the week it only sees minimal time bc the driving experience is not nearly the same when you are commuting.

University of Hawaii would be tough without wheels.

When I was in Philly for the APA convention I took the tram everywhere. I saw quite a few residents using it as well (why would you wear you lab coat in public?). I suspect they have quite a few residencies there. Great city too.

UCLA is not doable without a car. LA in general is quite difficult. Though theoretically with Lyft or Zip car one could do it. San Francisco IS doable (Muni, BART).

Vistaril I presume has never been out of the country to a place with a good mass transit system, or lived in a place in the US with one. It's a different level of independence. Having one's own car fits the American model of false independence, where we go where we want and can live in our little bubble. Except it doesn't serve us the way we think it does.

I've found it quite freeing to live in a city with good transit. You don't have to worry about parking, traffic, accidents, insurance, maintenance, scratches. I really wish that LA had a better one. Maybe in 10-20 yrs, as the high speed rail picks up. I do get to walk to work some days (one of the secrets to surviving in LA).

Having one's own car fits the American model of false independence, where we go where we want and can live in our little bubble. Except it doesn't serve us the way we think it does.
).

so enlighten me...how does my car not serve me the way I think it does?

so enlighten me...how does my car not serve me the way I think it does?

It gives the illusion of freedom, as if we can do more things and be better people through going more places. When really it's isolating, taking away time spent with others and connecting to others, and time spent on actual endeavors.

Except, of course, in a zombie apocalypse. Then it's the key to survival :D

It gives the illusion of freedom, as if we can do more things and be better people through going more places. When really it's isolating, taking away time spent with others and connecting to others, and time spent on actual endeavors.

How though?

If anything, would seem to be the opposite. I spend more time with family(just to pick one example) because of our car system and transportation network. If that wasn't in place and cars didn't dominate, I would obviously see them much less.

Not sure how having a car takes away any opportunities, or reduces time spent on actual endeavors. People are still free to do whatever they want with a car. I have a car, but if I wanted to stay home tonight and connect with my neighbors over a game of scrabble I could have. Choice is what it is all about.

My biggest issue with anti-car people and city planner types, however, is their desire to control/dictate what others do. They'll ramble on with nonsense about the environment or transportation budgets(none of which are the real issues), but their desire to control the choices of others is disturbing. Fortunately, they continue to get squashed and humiliated at every turn.

How though?

If anything, would seem to be the opposite. I spend more time with family(just to pick one example) because of our car system and transportation network. If that wasn't in place and cars didn't dominate, I would obviously see them much less.

Not sure how having a car takes away any opportunities, or reduces time spent on actual endeavors. People are still free to do whatever they want with a car. I have a car, but if I wanted to stay home tonight and connect with my neighbors over a game of scrabble I could have. Choice is what it is all about.

My biggest issue with anti-car people and city planner types, however, is their desire to control/dictate what others do. They'll ramble on with nonsense about the environment or transportation budgets(none of which are the real issues), but their desire to control the choices of others is disturbing. Fortunately, they continue to get squashed and humiliated at every turn.

:yawn: I have no interest in convincing you of anything. What's astounding is that you cannot contemplate an alternate POV. I don't begrudge you your enjoyment of driving. I grew up in that culture. But then living in an environment with great public transportation opens up more options. I could go to a new city without having to put the wear on my car. I don't have to figure out where I'll pay $20 to park in a downtown busy area. And best of all - I can read, rather than being stuck in traffic.

This was something that was important for me when looking for residency programs and I partly DNR'd several programs as a result, and didn't apply to several others either. The main locations where a car isn't needed is fairly obvious: NYC, Boston, SF, and Seattle. There really aren't too many places other than that though some have been mentioned. I was told that it was technically possible to get by in Pittsburgh relying on the bus but not advisable.

I do not have a car. I got through my first year in one piece. For the most part I am fine. However, it is a bit of a pain when you consider that when you start outpatient stuff you will have supervision, typically with people in private practice who may be located off the beaten track. I know for one of my locations, it will be a pain to get to clinic from that site, and then go to supervision and come back. But it is doable. also look for those programs where they will pay for a taxi if you are working when public transport stops or you are to sick or tired to safely get home.

I honestly don't think the public transportation in the US is up to capable of having a completely "no car" lifestyle. I'm personally not in love with my car. I live and work in southern CA, the worst traffic in the States. But mass transit just sucks. The metro link is like one ride every 45 minutes, DURING rush hour. The weekends are even longer. The stops are so far away that you need a car to get to your final destination anyway. In all likelihood, you would have to drive the station also, which just defeats the purpose of public transport.
NYC and SF have great mass transit but they are the exception rather than the norm.

My biggest issue with anti-car people and city planner types, however, is their desire to control/dictate HOW THEIR TAX DOLLARS ARE SPENT.

Fixed that for you. Large cities do get tired of seeing their tax dollars subsidizing the miles and miles of roads for people that live in rural/suburban areas. I like having my car, but even in a driveable city, I don't have to go more than 5 miles on most days. My in-laws in Tennessee have to drive 30 minutes just to get to the nearest grocery store. Somebody's taxes are subsidizing those roads and other externalities. It's a pretty conservative argument, actually. Though most conservatives would rather be angry about food stamps than about all those "freeloading rural drivers." Nobody minds freeloading when it matches with their personal preferences, of course.

:yawn: I have no interest in convincing you of anything. What's astounding is that you cannot contemplate an alternate POV. I don't begrudge you your enjoyment of driving. I grew up in that culture. But then living in an environment with great public transportation opens up more options. I could go to a new city without having to put the wear on my car. I don't have to figure out where I'll pay $20 to park in a downtown busy area. And best of all - I can read, rather than being stuck in traffic.

I wasn't asking you to convince me that cars are bad or whatever. It's just that you made a very vague and seemingly paradoxical statement with no explanation whatsoever. That's a very different than convincing me of your viewpoint. It looks like towards the end of the above post you describe more of what you mean. Honestly, people should drive(or not drive) whatever they want. If someone wants to walk to work or take the subway or crawl for all I care that's fine....but they shouldn't be telling me how I need to get to work either.

Fixed that for you. Large cities do get tired of seeing their tax dollars subsidizing the miles and miles of roads for people that live in rural/suburban areas. I like having my car, but even in a driveable city, I don't have to go more than 5 miles on most days. My in-laws in Tennessee have to drive 30 minutes just to get to the nearest grocery store. Somebody's taxes are subsidizing those roads and other externalities. It's a pretty conservative argument, actually. Though most conservatives would rather be angry about food stamps than about all those "freeloading rural drivers." Nobody minds freeloading when it matches with their personal preferences, of course.

well fuel taxes(which are massive of course) partially offset this. Drive more, pay more. And yes I know in most cases it isn't perfectly linear and they don't fully pay for roads, but there is still most definately a relationship between use and funding there.

As a conservative, my beef is with all the restrictions(safety and environemental but others too) that big govt types put on what is allowed to be sold new. There is no reason that the cheapest new car(that is actually a car) should run 15-16k or so(auto with air conditioner)....remove a lot of the bs and regulations, and we could bring that way down for the working poor so they would have money to spend on other things.

I honestly don't think the public transportation in the US is up to capable of having a completely "no car" lifestyle. I'm personally not in love with my car. I live and work in southern CA, the worst traffic in the States. But mass transit just sucks. The metro link is like one ride every 45 minutes, DURING rush hour. The weekends are even longer. The stops are so far away that you need a car to get to your final destination anyway. In all likelihood, you would have to drive the station also, which just defeats the purpose of public transport.
NYC and SF have great mass transit but they are the exception rather than the norm.

everyone I have known pretty well to have lived in san fran for awhile(and it's more than 5 but less than 10) still had a car. Even in one of the two or three most public trans friendly cities in the country, a car is still seen as something that is of great benefit. Sure, if forced I'd find it easier to go without a car in san fran than atlanta or whatever(which would be impossible of course), but if I lived in san fran there is no doubt in my mind I'd bring a car.

People have spoken- we like to drive to get to places.

vistaril said:
however, is their desire to control/dictate what others do.

Kind of ironic coming from someone who came into the thread just to pass judgement over a guy not willing to drive and who acted like he can't comprehend why one may prefer public transportation.

Kind of ironic coming from someone who came into the thread just to pass judgement over a guy not willing to drive and who acted like he can't comprehend why one may prefer public transportation.

there is a difference between joking about what a guy drives(or doesnt drive) vs trying to get laws passed which restrict freedom. A big difference.

there is a difference between joking about what a guy drives(or doesnt drive) vs trying to get laws passed which restrict freedom. A big difference.

There's a difference, yes, but they reflect a similar attitude. Social pressure and a judgmental perspective can be almost as powerful as tools of social control as laws.

Yes, U. of Washington is doing their best to make everyone use public transit. And besides parking, driving around the main campus at anything approaching rush hour is painful. There are some slight accommodations for residents on call, but parking is a hassle and usually not free.

Unless lots has changed at UCSF, I wouldn't include that among the car-free options. The VA is far from just about everything (although a beautiful location) and when I interviewed, there was the possibility of working at one site all day and then taking call at another. UW does that too.

You can't do UCSF without a car because of VA call and rotations. Bus goes to the VA but if you live near UCSF or SFGH (which are easy since the shuttle keeps reasonable hours) then you would need at least one transfer. VA has a shuttle but it runs 9 to 430 or something ridiculous like that. Who the eff gets out of work at 430? Plus public transport in SF is unreliable. You can't be late for call and just blame it on the MUNI. You would lose friends pretty quickly.

Same goes for CPMC, need to get to Oakland and CPMC Davies.

Seattle is possible but it is a pain to get there if you live near Harborview or UW (which are easy). You could live by Lake Union and take an easy bus to UW or HMC but you would still need to figure out how to get to the VA. Same for children's.

Boston, nope. MGH residents have to get to Belmont. Cambridge residents have to get to Everett. Might be possible for Longwood residents.

When you are post call or pre call the last thing you want to be doing is making 2 or 3 bus/ rail changes. And if you want to do any moonlighting many of the opportunities require a car.

You can't do UCSF without a car because of VA call and rotations. Bus goes to the VA but if you live near UCSF or SFGH (which are easy since the shuttle keeps reasonable hours) then you would need at least one transfer.
Not true. Many residents at UCSF do not have cars and do just fine. Even for those that have them, most folks don't drive them for the purposes of residency. Parking fees are very high at UCSF and SFGH, so most folks shuttle.
VA has a shuttle but it runs 9 to 430 or something ridiculous like that. Who the eff gets out of work at 430?
The VA shuttle runs from about 6:30 a.m. in the morning to 6:30 p.m. at night. It's not that frequent and parking is cheap, so most folks who can drive do, but folks who don't have cars shuttle typically.
Plus public transport in SF is unreliable. You can't be late for call and just blame it on the MUNI. You would lose friends pretty quickly.
People who complain about the reliability of MUNI are usually folks for whom it's their first exposure to public transportation. Some MUNI lines are chronically late, some are scheduled infrequently, but it's not a huge deal. You can accommodate by targeting the right lines and leaving early, especially when you know someone's looking to hand off a pager. The only people who this is a major roadblock for is people who are uncomfortable with the idea of public transportation.

Last edited:
Boston, nope. MGH residents have to get to Belmont. Cambridge residents have to get to Everett. Might be possible for Longwood residents.

you can take the commuter rail to Belmont just fine from Porter square.

it is a bit trickier to get to Everett, but is certainly very doable using public transport.

Seattle is possible but it is a pain to get there if you live near Harborview or UW (which are easy). You could live by Lake Union and take an easy bus to UW or HMC but you would still need to figure out how to get to the VA. Same for children's.

there is a shuttle bus between harborview and UW, and there are buses that go to the VA from Harborview. there is a shuttle that goes to children's from UW, although there is no need ever go to children's at all if you don't do peds or inpatient child.