Quantcast

Residency: Maryland or California?

Clinical Shadowing Summer '22 Programs
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doko

holla atcha boy!
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys. Everyone has been so helpful with everything, and I just wanted to say thanks for everyone who replies to posts. :love:

So I've been working as a lab tech for the past year in Maryland, although my residency is in California. From the UMAB website, I fulfill the residency requirements as a Maryland resident, which would increase my chances of getting into University of MD Med. [I graduated undergrad from Hopkins, and I'm told they love Hopkins students] :p

My numbers are MEDIOCRE (Not stellar) : Not exactly SURE, but roughly 3.6-3.7, low 30's MCAT, good recs, good EC's. :cool:

My dream school is Hopkins Med, and I'm afraid that I won't get into any schools in California since I'm a typical Asian Male and it's very competitive. :scared: (If I didn't get into Hopkins, I would choose any UC school over UMAB)

Does anyone have any recommendations as to which state I should declare my residency?

Much Love. :luck:

Law2Doc

5K+ Member
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Doko said:
Hi guys. Everyone has been so helpful with everything, and I just wanted to say thanks for everyone who replies to posts. :love:

So I've been working as a lab tech for the past year in Maryland, although my residency is in California. From the UMAB website, I fulfill the residency requirements as a Maryland resident, which would increase my chances of getting into University of MD Med. [I graduated undergrad from Hopkins, and I'm told they love Hopkins students] :p

My numbers are MEDIOCRE (Not stellar) : Not exactly SURE, but roughly 3.6-3.7, low 30's MCAT, good recs, good EC's. :cool:

My dream school is Hopkins Med, and I'm afraid that I won't get into any schools in California since I'm a typical Asian Male and it's very competitive. :scared: (If I didn't get into Hopkins, I would choose any UC school over UMAB)

Does anyone have any recommendations as to which state I should declare my residency?

Much Love. :luck:

Your stats are competitive, but Hopkins is going to be as or more competitive than any of the Cali schools. You will likely get in to a med school, but no specific med school is a shoe in. I think it really depends on where you want to live for the next four years.

davidus

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
sounds like you'd be a shoe in for UMaryland but it would be a crapshoot for anywhere else. UC schools are a mystery to just about everyone... I'd say if you're a risk taker than go with CA, but if you're more of the averse type, go with UMaryland. Either way, you'll def get into other non CA schools...

dxw

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
It sounds like you think UMD is the easiest school for you for you to get into, but ultimately your residency should be where you think you will want to be in the next four years. Yes, getting into a UC seems really tough and a crapshoot but I did it and I have similar stats. I was in the same situation and chose the CA residency because UMD still considers out of state residents, and I made connections with the Admissions staff there. Nevertheless, I haven't received an interview at UMD yet but already got into a UC. It was the best school in terms of reputation, being close to home, and tuition. By the way, be careful about residency choices. Your driver's license, car registration, etc. all have to be established in one state for at least one year prior to matriculation.

If you really want to be in CA, choose the CA residency. Most out of state schools (like UMD and Hopkins) are okay with CA residents. But once you choose MD, your chances at a UC are pretty much shot unless you get into UCSF or UCLA. I haven't had interview invites from either of those two.