Residency match advantage for Master's?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AnotherDork

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone- I usually post in pre-allo but I figured people in this forum would be more knowledgeable about this particular question. I'll be finishing up a MA (one of those programs designed to raise your grades and help you get in) shortly and starting med school in the fall, and I am wondering if residency programs look favorably, unfavorably, or don't care about getting this degree? My thesis is laboratory-based research (as opposed to library-based- in case that matters).

Obviously it's a long way down the road, but I am just curious. Sorry if this has been asked before but I couldn't find a thread. Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

AnotherDork said:
Hi everyone- I usually post in pre-allo but I figured people in this forum would be more knowledgeable about this particular question. I'll be finishing up a MA (one of those programs designed to raise your grades and help you get in) shortly and starting med school in the fall, and I am wondering if residency programs look favorably, unfavorably, or don't care about getting this degree? My thesis is laboratory-based research (as opposed to library-based- in case that matters).

Obviously it's a long way down the road, but I am just curious. Sorry if this has been asked before but I couldn't find a thread. Thanks!!

In general graduate degrees don't confer any significant advantage come match time, especially non-terminal degrees (ie, anything less than a PhD) or degrees such as the one you have completed (you haven't mentioned which program you're in, but most PDs recognize the well known programs and discount these as not being a "real" graduate degree).

In more competitive specialties like Derm and Ophtho a PhD may be advantageous, but its generally not recommended that applicants pursue one just for this reason