Residency Match Process

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmerJohn17

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So i've watched the videos and read the ASHP explanations on how the match runs. I'm still confused on the process. How does it all work?
It just doesn't make sense to me when i hear from past applicants that got ~8 or so interviews and didn't match when the follow-ups they heard from RPDs were "we ranked you high, not sure why you didn't match with us." Anyone please care to explain how it works when things get a little messier with rank lists?

Members don't see this ad.

So i've watched the videos and read the ASHP explanations on how the match runs. I'm still confused on the process. How does it all work?
It just doesn't make sense to me when i hear from past applicants that got ~8 or so interviews and didn't match when the follow-ups they heard from RPDs were "we ranked you high, not sure why you didn't match with us." Anyone please care to explain how it works when things get a little messier with rank lists?

That's not how it works. Maybe the RPDs just don't want to tell them that they ranked them high, but they ranked someone else higher. You may just not be getting the whole story.

Reactions: 1 users
1. How many spots did each of those 8 residency programs have? If there is only 1 spot at a program, then yes, a program might very well rank you high and you still may not match.
2. What is the definition of "high"? This is a vague term that can be taken with a grain of salt.
3. Are you certain that the residency programs were 100% truthful with your friend?

These sources explain the process fairly well:

http://www.nrmp.org/match-process/match-algorithm/

https://www.natmatch.com/ashprmp/aboutalg.html (Read under common misunderstandings)

If you yourself are ranking programs, rank them exactly in order of your preferences. If you do not match with a certain rank order list, you would not have matched with the programs in any other order. Changing the order of programs on your list will not increase your chances of getting a residency. If you don't rank in order of true preference, the only thing you will accomplish is increasing your chances of matching with a program you did not prefer as much as another.

Reactions: 1 users