Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Residency Match

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by TheRussian, Mar 30, 2004.

1. TheRussian

TheRussian Life Size Mirror
    7+ Year Member

Every school I've been to said that most of the students get one of their top 3 schools for residencies. I'm beginning to become skeptical if that has any significance.

My guess is that the schools can claim that because the students at the lower ranked schools don't list the best residencies as their top choices because they don't think they'll get in there.

What do you think?

Looking at the match list doesn't help me either because I have no idea what the top residencies are.

2. RedBlanket

RedBlanket Hi everybody!
    7+ Year Member

I don't have the exact statistic, but have read this year that between 80-85% of US senior matched into one of their top 3 programs, so most schools can make this claim. I'm not convinced that it's due to self-selection, but it might play a minor role. Having gone through the process, I'd say it's more likely that students and programs develop a decent feel for how well a particular applicant would "fit in". I planned to rank largely on reputation, but ended up bumping certain programs due to "fit" factors, feeling like personally some programs would be more rewarding.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...