1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Residency options

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by shadow, Apr 28, 2004.

1. shadow

shadow Member
    7+ Year Member

I am starting med school this fall and am trying to decide between a couple of schools. I am wondering what impact the school I choose may have on residency options. What are the important factors when in comes to matching for residencies? How much does your med school weigh in? FYI...one of these schools is relatively new (USF) and not ranked and the other (Miami) is ranked, but barely. Not sure if that matters.
    Thanks!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. RLMD

RLMD blah
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    If its between USF and Miami, I think the difference in reputation is minimal and should not really be a factor when deciding on which school to attend. Go to the school that is the best match for you in terms of curriculum, location, cost, etc. so that wherever you go, you will be happy and have the best chance to excel and get the residency of your choice.

4. Railway

Railway New Member

I am not going to decide for you, but I got friends at Miami and they both like it alot. The have a very reputable surgery program if that helps.

5. chirurgeon

Physician Faculty 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    As has been posted elsewhere innumerable times, the most important factors when applying for the Match are factors under your control - your clinical grades, your Step 1 score, letters of recommendation, basic science grades, your Step II score, and activities. Unless you're at an "Ivy" medical school, I don't think it makes that much of a difference frankly.

Informally, I've heard good things about both USF and Miami and know folks who have matched very well from both schools. I think you've got two great choices and will receive a quality education no matter where you end up. In a way, I think a lot of your decision may depend on which environment you feel more comfortable with - Tampa vs. Miami.

Good luck!