Residency Placement List

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hightower

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I have searched the forum but can't find a list that shows residency placement for each school. Does such a list exist or do you have to contact each school individually?

Members don't see this ad.

I know that there was one a few years ago but I don't ever remember seeing one for the class of 2008. I would encourage graduates from the class of 2008 to post match lists. It is good to see trends and where people are heading from different schools. I may have DMU's somewhere and will post it later.

I know that there was one a few years ago but I don't ever remember seeing one for the class of 2008. I would encourage graduates from the class of 2008 to post match lists. It is good to see trends and where people are heading from different schools. I may have DMU's somewhere and will post it later.

DMU's is on the website

http://www.dmu.edu/cpms/residencies/

I haven't searched for the others yet, but I did come across that the other day.

Members don't see this ad :)
http://www.barry.edu/podiatry/About/residencies.htm

Barry hasn't posted the match list for class 2008.
Yep^

As you see, it's mostly Florida, Tex, etc nice weather southern programs. That is the general yearly trend of what Barry students usually want. From the students I talked to, I am pretty sure c/o 2008, like 07, took probably at least half Fla/Tex programs.

There are a few good students in my class, including myself, who will be interviewing for top northern programs, but even most who interview north may end up ranking/matching southern programs due to family/weather/etc preferences. We'll see, but if clerkship choices were any indication, I will be one of the few ones definitely matching out of Florida.

Last edited:
So can a podiatry student seek a residency at any program nationwide, or does his/her podiatry school have to have some sort of affiliation/partnership and/or history of placement with the program? Sorry for so many slashes =)

So can a podiatry student seek a residency at any program nationwide, or does his/her podiatry school have to have some sort of affiliation/partnership and/or history of placement with the program? Sorry for so many slashes =)
You can apply to any program you want for clerkship/residency.

There are a couple programs in pod school metro areas that have a strong relationship with one particular school and some/all spots reserved for students from that school. I don't think they can flat out say that unless they drop out of CASPR/CRIP, but it's not hard to know which programs they are if you ask students/residents in the area. Regardless, that's only maybe 10-20 entry level residency spots of the 400+ in the nation. IMO, those programs suck anyways... their thinking and procedure selections get inbred pretty fast if they are resistant to bringing in fresh student/resident/faculty prespectives. You will see that most of the best programs have attendings, residents, alumni, etc from many schools. There the occasional nepotism at some programs, but that's unavoidable and part of life in any career field.

By and large, you can do pretty well if you are a good student. If you are going to a far away program that doesn't usually get extern/resident applicants from your school or has had a bad student/resident from your school recently, you may have a lot to prove, though. Rumors/history could have you starting a bit ahead or behind, but they are pretty easy to dispel if you perform poor/well. In then end, it's mostly based on your own competence.

Last edited:
You can apply to any program you want for clerkship/residency.

There are a couple programs in pod school metro areas that have a strong relationship with one particular school and some/all spots reserved for students from that school. I don't think they can flat out say that unless they drop out of CASPR/CRIP, but it's not hard to know which programs they are if you ask students/residents in the area. Regardless, that's only maybe 10-20 entry level residency spots of the 400+ in the nation. IMO, those programs suck anyways... their thinking and procedure selections get inbred pretty fast if they are resistant to bringing in fresh student/resident/faculty prespectives. You will see that most of the best programs have attendings, residents, alumni, etc from many schools.

By and large, you can do pretty well if you are a good student. If you are going to a far away program that doesn't usually get extern/resident applicants from your school or has had a bad student/resident from your school recently, you may have a lot to prove, though. Rumors can have you starting a bit behind, but they are pretty easy to dispel if you perform well.

Thanks for the info :)

When applying/matching to residencies i was under the impression that you rank 10 programs youd like to attend, from 1-10 in order of 'desire to attend'. Then there was some sort of 3rd party organization that was NOT any of the residency locations that determined what residency youd be placed in. It followed some bizzare formula that included--how many students were applying to that program, different spots those students ranked that program on their wish list, gpa of course....maybe some other things i forgot. And from there this organization placed you....

How do externships play a factor in the matching process then? I was under the impression that residencies would/could also weigh your application based on whether or not you were an extern there. And then whether you held your ground or you were dr doug from scrubs.

Maybe some of you can straigten this out for me.....cause im sure ive got some of the facts wrong here, and id be curious to know the entirety of the process.

edit: all the above 'facts' i recall reading from something linked in our other forum a while back, so if they sound hella outlandish its my failing memory, not crazy imagination that spewed them forth.

Last edited:
does anyone know which school has the most west coast residency placements? i guess that might be too broad a question but if anyone knows! :)

Here's the Barry c/o 2008 list. It might've been updated awhile ago, but I just noticed it today... as usual, a lot of Barry students headed to FL and TX residency programs.

http://www.barry.edu/podiatry/residencies.htm

CRIPS for the c/o 2009 finished up today, and I think we'll have a pretty strong match list for my class also.

If I remember correctly, C/O 2007 had a more impressive list than C/O 2008.

I am excited to see how your class matched.