Residency Prep Timeline?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GoldfishPharmD

walking on a dream
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'll be starting pharmacy school this fall, and as of right now, I'm extremely interested in pursuing a residency. I'm keeping an open mind though, but I was curious if there were some books or sources that explain what goals you should be meeting each year of pharmacy school to better obtain a residency?

I'm thinking something similar to those books of how to get into pharmacy school with what you should be doing each year of your college career. I looked on amazon for books, but only saw something for medical students, nothing really directed towards pharmacy students (not that I was expecting there to be anything). If there isn't any sources, do you guys have any tips?

Members don't see this ad.

Its pretty easy. Just do the following while you are in school and you will have a good chance at landing a residency.

-get as high of a GPA as you can
-work in a hospital pharmacy while you are in school
-do one or two extracirrcular activities (either prof. organizations or community service) any leadership positions would be a bonus
-and most importantly, when P-4 rolls around, get as much out of you can on your clinical rotations, and make a good working relationship with your preceptor (i guess even kiss ass if it calls for it) so that u can possibly get a good LOR when needed

Its pretty easy. Just do the following while you are in school and you will have a good chance at landing a residency.

-get as high of a GPA as you can
-work in a hospital pharmacy while you are in school
-do one or two extracirrcular activities (either prof. organizations or community service) any leadership positions would be a bonus
-and most importantly, when P-4 rolls around, get as much out of you can on your clinical rotations, and make a good working relationship with your preceptor (i guess even kiss ass if it calls for it) so that u can possibly get a good LOR when needed

Thanks for the info! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
No books exist, but jachen summed it up pretty well.

No books exist, but jachen summed it up pretty well.

Yeah, I didn't think there would be a book. Was thinking there might possibly be some online sources, but I couldn't find any. :p

Hours of fun: http://www.ashp.org/residents?WT.ac=hp_PopLinks_Resident_Information

A timeline for your last year of pharmacy school: http://www.ashp.org/Import/ACCREDITATION/ResidentInfo/ResidencyChecklist.aspx

Don't stress about it yet. Worry about passing your classes and having some fun for the next few years. The work won't end, but the college years will.

Thanks! I plan to enjoy it, I'm just a really bad procrastinator, so I'm trying to change that around. Still gotta have fun though. ;)