GoldfishPharmD

walking on a dream
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 25, 2009
Status
Pharmacist
I'll be starting pharmacy school this fall, and as of right now, I'm extremely interested in pursuing a residency. I'm keeping an open mind though, but I was curious if there were some books or sources that explain what goals you should be meeting each year of pharmacy school to better obtain a residency?

I'm thinking something similar to those books of how to get into pharmacy school with what you should be doing each year of your college career. I looked on amazon for books, but only saw something for medical students, nothing really directed towards pharmacy students (not that I was expecting there to be anything). If there isn't any sources, do you guys have any tips?

grizzlesgrizzlies

scrounging for scraps
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2008
Status
Pharmacist
Its pretty easy. Just do the following while you are in school and you will have a good chance at landing a residency.

-get as high of a GPA as you can
-work in a hospital pharmacy while you are in school
-do one or two extracirrcular activities (either prof. organizations or community service) any leadership positions would be a bonus
-and most importantly, when P-4 rolls around, get as much out of you can on your clinical rotations, and make a good working relationship with your preceptor (i guess even kiss ass if it calls for it) so that u can possibly get a good LOR when needed

OP
GoldfishPharmD

GoldfishPharmD

walking on a dream
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 25, 2009
Status
Pharmacist
Its pretty easy. Just do the following while you are in school and you will have a good chance at landing a residency.

-get as high of a GPA as you can
-work in a hospital pharmacy while you are in school
-do one or two extracirrcular activities (either prof. organizations or community service) any leadership positions would be a bonus
-and most importantly, when P-4 rolls around, get as much out of you can on your clinical rotations, and make a good working relationship with your preceptor (i guess even kiss ass if it calls for it) so that u can possibly get a good LOR when needed
Thanks for the info! :)

KARM12

10+ Year Member
Apr 4, 2006
East
Status
Pharmacist
No books exist, but jachen summed it up pretty well.

OP
GoldfishPharmD

GoldfishPharmD

walking on a dream
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 25, 2009
Status
Pharmacist
No books exist, but jachen summed it up pretty well.
Yeah, I didn't think there would be a book. Was thinking there might possibly be some online sources, but I couldn't find any. :p

OP
GoldfishPharmD

GoldfishPharmD

walking on a dream
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 25, 2009
Status
Pharmacist
Hours of fun: http://www.ashp.org/residents?WT.ac=hp_PopLinks_Resident_Information

A timeline for your last year of pharmacy school: http://www.ashp.org/Import/ACCREDITATION/ResidentInfo/ResidencyChecklist.aspx

Don't stress about it yet. Worry about passing your classes and having some fun for the next few years. The work won't end, but the college years will.
Thanks! I plan to enjoy it, I'm just a really bad procrastinator, so I'm trying to change that around. Still gotta have fun though. ;)