Residency programs in the South

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SJS519

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Could anyone give me any info on residency programs in the South? (ie. Emory, University of Alabama, LSU, all of the Texas programs,etc). Let me also know the differences between the Baylor program in Dallas vs Houston. (I know Houston is supposedly a good program)

Members don't see this ad.

The only programs that I interviewed at were Baylor-Houston and UTHSCSA. I liked both programs a lot. The Baylor program was a little big and more inpatient focused than UTHSCSA. However, there were more opportunities and it had a better national reputation. UTHSCSA, on the other hand, had more of a family feel. All the residents were extremely happy (moreso than at Baylor) and I thought the training was better overall -- especially for those more interested in the Physical Medicine aspect of PM&R. You should also take a look at this thread:

http://www.studentdoctor.net/forums/showthread.php?threadid=42131

I did a month long rotation this year at LSU's PM&R program. I was impressed with the commitment the faculty had to teaching the residents and medical students. Every day we had case overview teaching lectures. I must say I learned tons. There is a ton of pathology there because there is a big indigent population (staffs the state's largest charity hospital) there and there is a huge VA hospital there. The residents were very happy, they felt they had a great program with great balance 50% inpatient and 50% outpatient compared to other programs. They also felt that they were lucky to live in such an interesting and fun city like New Orleans with a ton of things to do. Even though LSU is not a well known program I believe it is excellent.