residency programs that pay/send/allow Annual assembly attendance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scifiMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I felt that I scoured the recent links so I hope that this is not a repeat question. What residency programs send (and or allow absence) to go to the Annual AAPMR Assembly meetings? Personally, I'm only allowed if I am presenting something (which I missed the cutoff for), or if I use my vacation time (which I've already used too much of taking an educational course). I'm just looking for some ammunition before I go off demanding to have the time off because "everyone" is doing it. (yeah right)

Members don't see this ad.

LSU provides:
Five educational days (used however you want)
28 vacation days (used only in 7-day blocks)
NO book or educational allowance or reimbursement

RIC gives 5 educational days (can take more - negotiable depends on situation), pays $1500/conference if you are presenting (I went to 2 a year for my whole residency), $300/year book/educational fund, free RIC academy courses (including P&O, EMG, pain, spine, etc), free palm pilot and some free books (We got Magee, baby hollinshead, and Preston/Shapiro or Braddom/DeLisa). The department pays for breakfast one day a week (chairman's rounds) and lunch one day a week (journal club/rehab in review). Free breakfast/lunch for weekend notewriting and free food if you are on call. They also pay for annual membership to AAPM&R, AAP, ACRM, and state PM&R society.

I think smaller programs that are more resident dependent have harder time letting residents go to conferences. We are allowed to take vacation/education/sick days whenever in whatever combination as long as you don't take more than 2 weeks off during a given rotation - so we are forced to cover each other from PGY2 year, building commaraderie among residents - yeah it's kind of a pain to have to find coverage but that's what you have to do in "real life" so it's good practice. Besides, I scratch your back, you scratch mine. There are a few attendings that are resident dependent but most know how to cover a service while their residents are gone. I think some of them pretended not to know how to do things like put in computer orders :)

Members don't see this ad :)
RIC gives 5 educational days (can take more - negotiable depends on situation), pays $1500/conference if you are presenting (I went to 2 a year for my whole residency), $300/year book/educational fund, free RIC academy courses (including P&O, EMG, pain, spine, etc), free palm pilot and some free books (We got Magee, baby hollinshead, and Preston/Shapiro or Braddom/DeLisa). The department pays for breakfast one day a week (chairman's rounds) and lunch one day a week (journal club/rehab in review). Free breakfast/lunch for weekend notewriting and free food if you are on call. They also pay for annual membership to AAPM&R, AAP, ACRM, and state PM&R society.

damn you axm!! thanks for making me jealous.

i still love my LSU...we've got a much better football team.

Michigan:

Three books
One paid-for conference your PGY4 year

If you have a poster, you get to goto the conference on the Department's dime as well.

Went to AAPMR in Honolulu and Boston :)

LSU provides:
Five educational days (used however you want)
28 vacation days (used only in 7-day blocks)
NO book or educational allowance or reimbursement

you sure about that "28 days". thats five and a half weeks of work. im assuming you mean you get 4 weeks/year......

you sure about that "28 days". thats five and a half weeks of work. im assuming you mean you get 4 weeks/year......

exactly. we get four weeks per year as PGY2-4.

this is from our house officers manual (2008/2009):
"Each House Officer at post-graduate year I (PGY I) is entitled to twenty-one (21) days (including weekends) of non-cumulative vacation leave per year. PGY II residents and above are entitled to twenty-eight (28) days (including weekends) of non-cumulative vacation leave per year."

since our department mandates using them in 7-day blocks, that's 4 weeks. other departments aren't as strict i believe...esp when it comes to educational leave.

yes, I'm seriously jealous now....and realizing the constraints of a "smaller" program

At UK, we only get 15 workdays of vacation time per year (3 weeks), but we get 5 days off for either the week of Christmas or New Years, so that equals up to the same 4 weeks. And we only get 5 days of education leave total to use during PGY 3 or 4. Thus trade offs have to be made w/ vacation time (especially considering if we want to do a week of board review).

exactly. we get four weeks per year as PGY2-4.

this is from our house officers manual (2008/2009):
"Each House Officer at post-graduate year I (PGY I) is entitled to twenty-one (21) days (including weekends) of non-cumulative vacation leave per year. PGY II residents and above are entitled to twenty-eight (28) days (including weekends) of non-cumulative vacation leave per year."

since our department mandates using them in 7-day blocks, that's 4 weeks. other departments aren't as strict i believe...esp when it comes to educational leave.
The problem with LSU's 7 day blocks is that, as a third and fourth year, you may want to go to conferences (which frequently start on Wednesdays) AND interview for fellowships.

Loyola University (Maywood, IL) :love:
7 calendar days for education leave, here is the policy:

Loyola pays for PGY 4's to attend the AAPM&R and for any resident who has research accepted to be presented at the AAP or AAPM&R. Here is the policy on reimbursement:

Airfare: Flight booked through the hospital will be reimbursed.

Hotel: We are encouraged to stay at the suggested hotel by the conference and will be reimbursed up to the amount of the cost of the suggested hotel.

Ground Transportation: We will be reimbursed for up to 4 ground transportations.

Meals: We get $9 for every breakfast, $11 for every lunch, and $25 for every dinner during the conference.

As for having a hard time attending because of our small program size, out of nine residents only one must necessarily stay behind. Scheduling is actually easier with fewer residents because there are less competing requests. Whenever a calendar is being made we almost always get the days off we had wanted.

And since others have mentioned perks beyond the original inquiry, here goes:

21 calendar days of vacation

12 sick days

NO WEEKENDS unless you’re on call (once a month as PGY-2)

Holidays are considered weekend days (on average, I will work only ONE holiday per year)

***HOME CALL*** (except for one outside rotation)

Free Books:
EMG – Shapiro, Gnatz
Rehab – Braddom, Choi, Tan, Tarascon Pharmacopeoia
MSK – Goodyer, Hollinshead
and I believe the seniors get $500/year in educational expenses

Plus,

Scheck and Siruss orthotic and prosthetic training x 12 sessions with lecture binder

AAPM&R membership paid

FULL Health and Dental coverage (I appreciate this now, as it wasn’t the case my prelim year)

That’s about all I can think of right now.
It’s a small program that can be easily overlooked despite its awesomeness :D, so if anyone has questions about Loyola that weren’t answered here please feel free to ask me!

Great advertisement for Loyola Nico47. Solid job!! I've lived in Chicago before though...in about a month I'm even more happy to be down here in nola. But I gotta admit, those are WAY more perks than we get with LSU.

Michigan:

Three books
One paid-for conference your PGY4 year

If you have a poster, you get to goto the conference on the Department's dime as well.

Went to AAPMR in Honolulu and Boston :)

Oh vacation days;

21 days plus:

July 4, Thanksgiving (Thursday AND Friday), X-mas (if on a Thursday or Tuesday, Friday and Monday are off!), New Years day (same deal as X-mas), Labor Day, Memorial Day. So minimum, an additional 6 days off, up to 8 like this year will be.