Residency programs that require PGY-1?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Prent42

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
(i posted this in another subforum, but i think it should belong here)

not sure where else to post this, as I'm entering my fourth year of medical school. some of the programs I want to apply to require 1 year of post graduate training in a residency program.

for example, the preventive medicine residency in texas requires at least 1 post graduate year, and at least 6 months of clinical training.

Does this mean, I have to apply to any residency of my choice and then bail after the first year to apply to the preventive medicine program?

if that is the case, i'm thinking of going into family medicine residency, and after one year, switching.

however, i'm sure that the family residency interviewer wouldn't like this. but how else can i get experience for 1 year residency, without having to 'bail' on a program after the effort they put into choosing applicants.

thanks for any information on this, i'm a little confused.

Members don't see this ad.

For many fields, transitional years are the solution. This is the case for things like radiology, ophthalmology, anesthesiology, etc. This prevents people from needing to drop out of a program after one year- I don't believe you can match into two programs that have overlapping time commitments anyways. Hope this helps.

thanks mordounhas,

so would i have to apply for match twice? once for a transitional spot, and a second time in a residency for preventive medicine?

thanks mordounhas,

so would i have to apply for match twice? once for a transitional spot, and a second time in a residency for preventive medicine?

I'm pretty sure you apply for the preventive medicine residency and transitional year at the same time and are accepted to both at the same time on match day. Preventive med will give all of their accepted applicants provisional placement predicated upon you successfully completing your transitional year. As far as I've heard, that transitional year can be done at a totally separate hospital from the preventive med residency, if you choose.

(i posted this in another subforum, but i think it should belong here)

BTW, it is a violation of the SDN Terms of Service agreement to post the same question in multiple forums thus I will close the other thread and move this one to ERAS/NRMP forum.

not sure where else to post this, as I'm entering my fourth year of medical school. some of the programs I want to apply to require 1 year of post graduate training in a residency program.

I'm sorry your school doesn't better prepare you for this as this is a very basic topic.

for example, the preventive medicine residency in texas requires at least 1 post graduate year, and at least 6 months of clinical training.

Does this mean, I have to apply to any residency of my choice and then bail after the first year to apply to the preventive medicine program?

Residencies which require an internship year and do not offer them require you to obtain that training. The options are generally a Preliminary Medicine year, Preliminary Surgery year (if allowed) or Transition Year. The latter can be quite competitive as they are widely considered to be the easiest of the years and you are competing with high caliber Derm, Rads, etc. students. Most Prelim Surgery programs will probably not satisfy requirements for the clinical year for Preventive Med; thus, a TY (transitional year) is your best bet.

if that is the case, i'm thinking of going into family medicine residency, and after one year, switching.

however, i'm sure that the family residency interviewer wouldn't like this. but how else can i get experience for 1 year residency, without having to 'bail' on a program after the effort they put into choosing applicants.

That's not what you want to do - not fair to the program, not fair to someone who really wants to complete an FM residency and may not meed the requirements for a first year for Preventive Medicine. Apply for the TY.

When you apply for a specialty that requires a prelim year as well as an advanced match, you apply for both at the same time. You will have two different ranking lists - one for the intern year and one for the advanced PM residency. This is widely discussed in the NRMP forum.

Last edited:
I would actually be careful with transitional year with prev med. I know with occ med which is under prev med accepts prelim surgery year. I also know prev med requires one clinical year with 6 months of inpatients and outpatient/amb expeirence so if you are in er and don't do 6 months of inpt then you have not fulfilled that requirement which can be true for transitional as well.