residency programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SD

10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me where I can find a listing of all of the residency programs? I am most interested in OB residencies in FL. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

SD --doatc has provided the correct site for sure--but be careful as i have found this list to be wholly lacking--it is not up to date by far in the internship section..

be sure to follow up with calls to each program as much of the info listed at the aoa site is old and out of date if it is even listed.

good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you both very much. Just one more question.. do you think that because there doesn't appear to be an OB residencies in the Southeast, that there isn't? I'm not sure how current the list is. Thanks in advance.

SD;

The Opportunities site has only the AOA OB/Gyn programs. Check out 'FRIEDA' through the AMA web site at http//www.ama-assn.org for the ACGME programs. I think Florida is one of the five states requiring the AOA internship to practice as a DO, so you may be looking at doing a extra year before starting residency.

Good luck.

rtk- Being FL is one of the 5 states requiring the AOA internship, does this mean that I would be able to do an allopathic residency in the state of Florida after the required AOA internship? Or do I have to have the AOA residency as well? Do you know where I can find any information out about this? Thanks in advance!

Sara

[This message has been edited by SD (edited 01-16-2000).]

sara;

From what I understand, inorder to do any form of post-graduate training in any of the five states that require the AOA internship you must first do the internship, (dosen't matter where...). Even though you'll only have a temporary licsense your first year, most programs will require you to get a permanent liscense by PGY-2, that's when the AOA internship comes into play. In order to get a permanent liscense as a DO in FLorida you first need the AOA internship even if you are training in an ACGME program.

Although an extra year of training isn't all bad, it does pose some potential problems. The most obvious being an extra year of training to get to the same place as your MD collegues. The other problem is that of funding for the duration of training when you do start residency. With Medicare cut-backs, you are granted a certain number of years for residency funding depending on the training that you pursue. e.g.: OB/Gyn programs are four years, allowing four years of funding, however, if you do an AOA internship year, one year of funding has been used... This may mean problems for residency matching after your Internship year. If you go from AOA Internship to AOA residency, this isn't a problem. But obviously this is a contention in Florida as there are no AOA OB/Gyn programs there.

Isn't the AOA wonderful...

rtk- Thanks for the insight. DO you know what types of problems come about from the last year not being funded? Is it possible to complete the last year of residency and not be funded?

------------------
Sara
UHS Class of 2004