Residency Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psychiatry

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
HI!

I will like to know if anybody can tell me which program is better at all, St.Vincents NY or Beth Israel NY? What about the Montefiore' psychiatry program? I have heard it is a weak program.

Which is the most codiciated program at Manhattan at all?
(lifestyle, academic, clinical practice, nice people etc...)

What about programs at Philadelphia?

Members don't see this ad.

montefiore is a really good program from what ive heard
with high resident morale, minimal scut, and tons of time to read and do other things--plus, some of the best known psych's are there.
st. vincent's has great subsidized housing but is really for people wanting to go into private practice, not for anyone thinking about a competitive fellowship or a research career--oyu can still have those, but its just harder coming from st. v's
the upenn program is the best of the three b/c it is VERY strong in psychotherapy and biolog psychiatry and has tons of teaching and research available if you want to do it. not as cush as montefiore, but you'll still have a pretty good life outside of residency. also, if you want to do child psych, they will let you substitute peds at CHOP for medicine!!!

just all based on what ive heard

Just a quick note about the UPenn program, from my interview there this month. The Child Program has had several problems related to 16 months without a child psych chair at CHOP and they are still searching for a chair. I was warned by some residents that I might be better off going elsewhere for Child fellowship, which was not what I was hoping to do.
MBK2003

Thank you for the information. It seems that you really know about the programs. Have you interview in some of them? I will like to know something about Beth Israel. Is a good program? I was selecting the last places to interview, I am not sure to interview at the Bronx, so I am looking for other programs at Manhattan.

Bye!!:)