Residency Pursuit: Masters Degree vs. Clinical Internship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kroseg

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a P1 student wanting to pursue a residency, and was wondering if anyone knows anything or has any experience with these two?
Right now I am currently on the path to a dual PharmD/Masters in Pharmaceutical Sciences & Drug Design, and was wondering if getting a clinical internship would be considered "more important" or maybe equal in the eyes of residency directors.
I love research but also am worried about missing out on a residency because I haven't been in a clinical position other than my IPPE/APPEs.

Members don't see this ad.

From one side an internship helps with better letters of rec and more experience. On the other side, I do know a P4 with a Masters in Biostatistics and Internships in industry that matched into a PGY1 residency. It depends on what you want to do and how you frame it. Ask residency directors in programs that you are interested in.

Reactions: 1 user
Most interns/students are not in "clinical positions." Good letters of rec can come from either place. A masters is also a longer lasting accomplishment than an internship. As long as you can complete your licensing intern hours without having worked outside of your IPPE/APPE's then you should be fine.

Reactions: 1 user