Residency Question for Seasoned NYCOMers/Other NYC DO's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ramona223

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,
Was wondering if anyone has info on Mount Sinai's outlook on DO residency applicants? I'm somewhat interested in EM but don't see a single DO resident in looking at the resident lists from years 1-4. I also looked at NYCOM's '06 match list and didn't see more than 2 people or so matching at Mount Sinai (I think they were PM & R and Internal Medicine). Are they up there with Columbia in terms of selectivity?
Any info on this?
Much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Why the obsession with Mt. Sinai?

Why the obsession with Mt. Sinai?

cuz i live down the street ;-P

i'm genuinely curious though...not being a native new yorker, i wasn't under the impression that they're up there with the big boys in terms of selectivity and the prestige-factor. was a bit surprised in doing my DO search on the mt. sinai menu. i had read other posts on sdn about the "big five" in the city not being as receptive to do's compared to more suburban/community/do hospitals in the area, so was hoping to get some insight on the hospital culture of the area. the trend i'm seeing on the match lists is that there are always the occasional two or three people that match into "big name" programs in the city, mainly in FP, IM, or PM & R. could be that their EM program just doesn't take a lot of people to begin with.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think your only choice is FP.

not true. i hear they take 12 np's/year.

Big Five?

Sinai
Columbia
Cornell
NYU
Whats the fifth?

Mt. Sinai is very competitive.

I think it would be really hard for you to get a EM residency at Sinai, but anything is possible. I know they do take DO's for their fourth year rotations but I think you have to do really well on USMLE Step 1.

St Lukes has a very good EM program.

Big Five?

Sinai
Columbia
Cornell
NYU
Whats the fifth?

Mt. Sinai is very competitive.

I think it would be really hard for you to get a EM residency at Sinai, but anything is possible. I know they do take DO's for their fourth year rotations but I think you have to do really well on USMLE Step 1.

St Lukes has a very good EM program.

ha! good point, maybe sinai IS the fifth five...which would make sense...i just picked up "big five" from someone else's post regarding nyc programs.
lately i keep hearing and reading good things about st. luke's program as well. are they more DO-friendly? maybe it's just me and maybe it's just the fact that i'm consulting too many md residents on the matter, but they sometimes give me the vibe that "the top five" are inclined to correlate how many DO's and FMG they let in with their continued status as a "competitive program." then again, there are way more md's competing for those spots because there are more md's in general, so that's always a factor with the five i guess. as far as allo programs in the city, seems like nycom and st. vinnie's, st. lukes, etc have a solid feed (although st. vinnie's not sure about an EM program, i think it was psych)