Residency Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mpate079

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
As a Canadian, I was wondering if my chances for a podiatric residency in the US is higher than my chances of obtaining a medical residency as an IMG in the US?

Im torn between the two (POD vs MD) and was just wondering how the two compare in respects of obtaining a US residency as a Canadian.

Members don't see this ad.

You mean if you go to DPM school in the US vs MD school in CA?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
I guarantee that you'd have a better chance of matching as a DPM than a Caribbean MD. The DPM match rate for new grads this past cycle was something like 97%. Forget IMGs, that's higher than the US MD match rate. The IMG match rate would pale in comparison.

I know as Canadians we can't match into VA residencies, but from canadian DPM's i've shadowed, that wasn't much of a problem. Just narrows your choices for externships

Reactions: 1 user
I know as Canadians we can't match into VA residencies, but from canadian DPM's i've shadowed, that wasn't much of a problem. Just narrows your choices for externships
Makes sense I suppose. That would probably apply to MD residents as well, wouldn't it?