Residency Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vnacyd

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I was wondering if affirmative action carries over into residency programs. I have been looking for info on the web, but have not found much. Thank you
Vanessa

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Vanessa,

Affirmative action does not carry over into the residency application process.

Well, maybe not officially, but I have been told that most residency programs will add diversity if possible. For example, in rads, GI, and urology, to name but three fields, women are terribly underrepresented, so these programs are more amenable to women candidates than your standard IM programs.

This is according to the dean of students at my med school.

So, ladies, have no fear: apply for rads even if you think your application is not competitive.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by vnacyd:
•Hi, I was wondering if affirmative action carries over into residency programs. I have been looking for info on the web, but have not found much. Thank you
Vanessa•••••No Affirmative Action in residency programs. Your numbers are your tickets now. :cool: That match computer is only going to put you into one slot and the computer doesn't know what color or sex you are. :D

That match computer is only going to put you into one slot and the computer doesn't know what color or sex you are.

EXCEPT, where you will be ranked on a particular program's match list may very well have to do with who you know and what you look like.

From talking to residents on the wards, demographics seems to matter unofficially, but will only serve to sway the vote. Last year, our Orthopaedics department was dying for a female, but felt the other candidates were better. Instead of taking the best female available, they didn't rank any that highly.