Residency Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Angel_Eyes

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay...someone please answer this question for me. I have been given different answers everytime I ask (sdn not included).

My parents still claim me as a dependent. (for financial reasons) Anyway...they moved from my amcas specified state of residency last year (2001) and filed taxes in both states. Because they claimed me on their taxes I have to be a resident in the state that they claim residency right??

Well...they claimed both tx and az. I claimed az residency and now I am hearing that it might not hold up because my parents have been in tx for over a year already. That's crap!! If I am not a resident of az then by the same reasoning I am not a resident of tx either. How will the schools look at this?? I already stated on my tx apps that I am not a resident. if I am denied az residence, can I go back and provide the paper work that disqualifies me and claim tx res?

I have an az driver's license, registered to vote in az and lived there for 11 years before I moved away to school....HOW CAN I NOT BE A RESIDENT????? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

That's a tough question!
Do you have any money left for a lawyer?!:eek:

If all else fails....it looks as though you are in Louisiana....
if you look in the MSAR.....it seems as though Louisiana residents
have a pretty good chanceat getting in to their state schools.

good luck in figuring that out!

Ok, I am not sure about your particular situation so please do not quote me on anything!:) That said, it has been my experience that you can choose which state you want to claim. If you have sufficient evidence of AZ residency(which it sounds like you do) then they shouldn't say anything to you. My boyfriend is from AZ and has been working in CA for 2 years now. He still has his AZ license and pays CA taxes but he has no problem claiming himself as a resident of AZ. Also, I do know from experience that you cannot change your state of residency on the AMCAS after it has been verified...I filed as an IL resident b/c that is where I am from and where my parents are but am now a CA resident. In my experience, I have been able to convince my current school that I am a CA resident even though my parents claimed me on their taxes last year in IL. I am not sure how it works state to state though. Sorry for rambling...hope it helps just a little;)

Hey thanks for all the thoughts!!

It's great to have some different options presented...although I like the lawyer idea. Hope some are available pro bono!! :laugh:

I think that AZ is taking me as a res because they called yesterday to confirm my secondary stuff and to get my final dates for an interview.

Thanks guys....good luck to all of you!!