• Please review the updated member agreement. Included is a new statement supporting the scientific method and evidence-based medicine. Claims or statements about disease processes should reference widely accepted scientific resources. Theoretical medical speculation is encouraged as part of the overall scientific process. However, unscientific statements that promote unfounded ideological positions or agendas may be removed.

Suey

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 14, 2003
Visit site
Status
I am not familiar with how residencies work. I know that all US med students are guaranteed a residency through the Match program. So when you apply for residencies, do you exclusively only apply to 1 specialty? Or can you apply to several different specialties if you're interested in living in a specific location?

Since derm and ophth are the most competitive residencies to get, and say you apply for only 1 specialty and since you're guaranteed to get in somewhere, how are those fields competitive then?

It seems like when people talk about intern yr, it's hell, but I've only heard horror stories of ER internships. So what if you go into another specialty where it's not as chaotic and doesn't seem as time consuming as ER, is intern yr still hellish and have 80 hr shifts? Basically, in any specialty you enter into, are you doomed to have a horrible intern yr?

Also, if you're a CA resident and go to out of state med school, would you have a harder time getting accepted to a CA residency?

CalBeE

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 14, 2003
Visit site
Status
You're not guaranteed to be matched anywhere. However, because there're more residency spots than applicants, if you ended up not matching anywhere, you can still hunt for one of these empty spots (usually in primary care areas)

docmemi

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 21, 2003
Los Angeles, Calif.
Visit site
Status
yes, i was bout to say...hey, u r not guaranteed anything. from what a current ms told me, you can apply to multiple programs. but they might second question u if they found out.

i dont know if its hard to come back to cali (maybe depends a little on your schools match traditionally), but if youre in cali then u have a good chance of staying if u want to.

also, like calbee said, if u dont get into the competitve specialty you can scramble (after u find out u didnt match) for a primary care spot and most likely get it since there are so many pc spots.

About the Ads

jlee9531

J,A,S
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 25, 2002
CA
fantasysports.yahoo.com
Status
Attending Physician
yeah no guarantees...especially for the money making residencies right now...

im glad i wont be going into any of those residencies or worry about having to scramble.

go peds!!

Suey

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 14, 2003
Visit site
Status
Thanks guys for your responses. So what about intern year?

exmike

NOR * CAL
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 19, 2003
Bay Area
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Originally posted by Suey
you do an intern year if you're doing certain specialties during your PGY-1 years. Optho, derm, rads, otolaryn come to mine.

Adapt

2K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 18, 2003
Visit site
Status
Your intern year is basically your first year of residency. Calling it your intern year makes things confusing.

CalBeE

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 14, 2003
Visit site
Status
Also, if you're a CA resident and go to out of state med school, would you have a harder time getting accepted to a CA residency?
Not neccessarily. For example, I was looking at U of Chicago's matchlist from last year, and quite a lot (Well at least more people than I expected) matched to UCSF Med Center. There are also quite a lot matched to various California locations.

The school's reputation helps, and your board score, obviously plays a big role.

No Egrets

Bachelorette of Science
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 16, 2003
Houston, TX
Visit site
Status

From what I understand, many schools will allow you to do an off-campus rotation at a different school during your 3rd and 4th years to give you an opportunity to check out their program and get your foot in the door. I met a 3rd year at Wash U in St Louis who was going to do a surgery rotation at UCSF because she wanted to match there. I'm not sure what schools exactly allow this or if everyone does. But I've heard of it more than once.

mrbfour

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 14, 2003
southern california
Visit site
Status
Here's my two cents...

I agree with what most people have said here, no student has a residency guaranteed. The most important factors of a students profile is their board scores, letters of recommendation, whether or not they did a rotation at the institution they are applying at, if they have done some research in the specialty they are applying for, and their interview. That said, a lot of hard work must be put in by the student (just like med school applications) to get into the residency program of their choice. I am not trying to promote or encourage potential gunners out there, but just being honest. If you love FP or IM and want to do your residency in that than theoretically you don't have to do as well as others on your board test and grades...however, most people who are in medical school are pretty driven individuals and hopefully have learned while in school the enormous responsibility of their profession and will work hard no matter how hard they "have to" to get the residency they want. IMO

I think that most CA med students stay in CA for their residency because they choose to. they have come to like the area or the weather or any other factor and have decided that they want to stay. I think that if you do well at an out of state school you should be able to get back into CA for your residency...just be forewarned that it will be difficult, not because of going out of state for schooling but just because of the sheer number of students applying for a limited number of positions available. In this case however, your schools reputation may come into play if you are even with a student who is applying for the same position as you.

I guess I'm trying to say that if you do well in med school, apply yourself, and choose a school that you can thrive in (regardless of state) you should be able to have a pretty good shot at doing your residency where you want to.

About the Ads