Residency rankings

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

unicorn06

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I know there are no US News rankings of residency programs, but I was wondering if there are any lists of this sort whatsoever. I would really like a way to compare different schools and to learn where the top programs are. I am trying to decide where to attend medical school next year, and I would like to know which schools have the srongest residency programs in certain areas because this will play a factor in my decision. I am particularly interested in radiation oncology, dermatology, and pathology.

Thanks!

Pam

Members don't see this ad.

unicorn06 said:
Hi,

I know there are no US News rankings of residency programs, but I was wondering if there are any lists of this sort whatsoever. I would really like a way to compare different schools and to learn where the top programs are. I am trying to decide where to attend medical school next year, and I would like to know which schools have the srongest residency programs in certain areas because this will play a factor in my decision. I am particularly interested in radiation oncology, dermatology, and pathology.

Thanks!

Pam

Did it occur to you that it is unlikely a school is going to be equally good in those three rather disparate specialties? (I guess they all have good quality of life, which is probably what you're going for, but this is generally not how clinical department strength is structured.) With interests that broad (and 2 of those three being among the most competitive to match into specialties), you should just head for the US News and go for the best school you get into (and, please don't be anal and interpret this as meaning there is some meaningful difference between #5 versus #9; I'm talking top 10 versus top 50 type differences).

I actually don't think those interests are that broad. All have a strong basis in scientific research and are tied closely to cancer treatment. Yes, all do have good lifestyles, but that is not the only thing that is important to me. And I realize I may not be able to find a school that is very strong in all 3, but it would be nice to have an idea of which schools have strong programs in these specialties, especially rad onc and derm because those are so hard to match into. This can vary even among top schools like Harvard, Hopkins, and WashU. Just because a school is at the top of the US News list doesn't mean that it necesarily has the best residency program in a particular specialty.

Members don't see this ad :)
unicorn06 said:
I actually don't think those interests are that broad. All have a strong basis in scientific research and are tied closely to cancer treatment. Yes, all do have good lifestyles, but that is not the only thing that is important to me. And I realize I may not be able to find a school that is very strong in all 3, but it would be nice to have an idea of which schools have strong programs in these specialties, especially rad onc and derm because those are so hard to match into. This can vary even among top schools like Harvard, Hopkins, and WashU. Just because a school is at the top of the US News list doesn't mean that it necesarily has the best residency program in a particular specialty.

You want to go into dermatology so you can cure cancer and because it has a strong basis in scientific research? Well, you're definitely saying the things residency program directors want to hear. I happen to know four people applying in derm this year, and I can say that when you talk to them honestly, you find that pretty good salary for not a lot of time and not a lot of stress are the biggest motivating factors for most applicants.. This is a totally valid reason, by the way.

I think most people will tell you that choosing a med school based on their rank in specialties you are interested in as a pre-med is not very realistic, as (1) it is very likely that your interests will change along the way, (2) one of the best ways to assess this is to talk to faculty and/or program directors in the fields of interest, an option that will probably not be available to you prior to actually being at the school and being able to set up a meeting with said people to talk about your interest in the field and how to do research in it, what's necessary to be a competitive applicant for it, and the like.

WaitingWatching-

I may be wrong, but I gather you think I'm just going for good hours and good pay. However, while these two factors are definitely a plus, I am definitely interested in the research aspects and cancer applications of these therapies. For the past two years I have been doing research on DNA repair, more specifically on XP and several other genetic cancer syndromes. My research has involved using radiation (albeit on E. coli). It is from these research experiences that my desire to go into rad onc and derm originated. Two of my role models are a dermatologist and a radiation oncologist, each of whom heads a lab in addition to practicing clinical medicine. Not only do my interests lie in these areas, but these specialties are ideal for research because the flexible schedule leaves time for one to pursue both clinic and research. I just want to clarify because you seem to have gotten the wrong idea.

I appreciate your advice and gather from your message that there is not a ranking of any sort that I can access. Do you know if there are any lists of good programs (not rankings but any sort of guideline)?

unicorn06 said:
WaitingWatching-

I may be wrong, but I gather you think I'm just going for good hours and good pay. However, while these two factors are definitely a plus, I am definitely interested in the research aspects and cancer applications of these therapies. For the past two years I have been doing research on DNA repair, more specifically on XP and several other genetic cancer syndromes. My research has involved using radiation (albeit on E. coli). It is from these research experiences that my desire to go into rad onc and derm originated. Two of my role models are a dermatologist and a radiation oncologist, each of whom heads a lab in addition to practicing clinical medicine. Not only do my interests lie in these areas, but these specialties are ideal for research because the flexible schedule leaves time for one to pursue both clinic and research. I just want to clarify because you seem to have gotten the wrong idea.

I appreciate your advice and gather from your message that there is not a ranking of any sort that I can access. Do you know if there are any lists of good programs (not rankings but any sort of guideline)?

Well, the obvious question is, is this dermatologist and radiation oncologist someone at your school? Because setting up a meeting with either via an e-mail from you or perhaps your adviser if he/she knows them wouldn't be a particularly bad idea. Most professors are reasonably enthused about talking to someone interested in their field who is a potential research student. Even if they ignore you, they may actually remember your name.

In terms of your quest for rankings, do you know any residents in the field? I don't know of any rankings by specialty, but if you post to the Dermatology message board, maybe you'll get a taker.

But, just to re-iterate, any top-20 school is going to have all kinds of research in oncology for you to get involved with during your med school years. Do well in med school, do some research, and you'll be able to match at a good program. Moreover, you'll be a lot more knowledgeable about the field and good programs in four years than you are now. Also realize that things can change in four years. A good/bad program director or department chair can have a lot of effect on a department. And, four-to-five years is long enough to actually make a difference.

You might want to look at the usnews ranking of "best" hospitals in those areas...not sure of there is one for rad onc though...there is for cancer and that is md anderson..anyways that "might" be a good place to start but not sure how well hospital ranking will correlate with residencies although it makes sense that if the hospital is top notch in x or y disease treatment then the residents should be getting a great education.

efex101 said:
You might want to look at the usnews ranking of "best" hospitals in those areas...not sure of there is one for rad onc though...there is for cancer and that is md anderson..anyways that "might" be a good place to start but not sure how well hospital ranking will correlate with residencies although it makes sense that if the hospital is top notch in x or y disease treatment then the residents should be getting a great education.
That is the link above I provided.

unicorn06 said:
Hi,

Thanks!

Pam

Hi there,
Where you go to medical school has little to do with where you finally end up in residency. How well you perform in medical school has loads to do with where and what residencies you may end up in. The bottom grads in the highest ranked medical school are not going to do as well as the top grads in a lower ranked school.

You need to attend the school where you feel you can perform your best. If you do not thive in whatever atmosphere you find in your school, you will tank your residency plans pretty quickly. My lowly ranked medical school sent four people into derm residencies the year that I graduated. Of course all were AOA.

When it comes time for you to participate in the residency application process, your clinical advisor will tell you where the top programs are located. This can vary from year to year and from institution to institution. Some places such as Hopkins or Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN will consistantly have high rankings (Mayo residencies are renowned for their teaching).

Do well in medical school (any medical school in this country) and you can determine your fate.

njbmd :)

Adding to the last post... njbmd is absolutely right, being the best at pretty much any US med school will get you the 'coveted' residency spots. But that being said, med school is insanely competitive and pretty much everyone wants to do "the best", so no matter how smart/hard working, etc you are, you just don't know if you're going to be able to be "the best". That being said, I think it makes sense to go to the highest-ranked school you get into (and I mean for instance, top 10 vs. top 50, not choosing #2 over #3 or something like that). If you're a graduate of a top school, you are still going to have to have excellent grades, but I feel that the "grades pressure" is a little bit less than if you go to an unranked school and really need to "prove yourself".

That's just my $.02.

Q