Residency standards for IMGs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chief jmh

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to determine how difficult it will be to get a residency position in Internal Medicine. I am beginning my final year at University College Dublin. I've typically been in the top 10-15% of my class and my USMLE Step 1 score was 84. I am concerned about my ability to get quality letters of recommendation, none of which will come from an elective undertaken in the U.S. Also, I do not have any research experience and have little interest in doing research. Does anyone have insight into what emphasis is placed on Board Scores vs. Letters of Recommendation in the Residency application process.

Members don't see this ad.

From what I've heard, Your board scores will get you an interview, your letters will put more icing on the cake, and your interview....well once you get an interview its all up to that. You are not applying to a difficult field. By the last several years statistics about 40% of interns entering IM residencies are IMGs. And there are many IM spots that go unfilled each year.

I would say that your chances are good, ofcourse there is a huge variation in the type of IM programs out there, from high powered academic programs where research would be a benefit, to the community hospital program in the inner city who will take who ever is willing to work all day every day and subject themselves to the dangerous neigborhoods.

Just wondering why you won't have any letters from US faculty? While the rest of your application sounds in order for an IM residency, surely doing an elective in the US and getting a letter from that rotation would be the "sprinkles (aka: hundreds and thousands) on the icing on the cake". I would HIGHLY recommend that you attempt to get a letter from US faculty; barring that, it should be from your faculty who are KNOWN in the US.

Best of luck...