residency status mess..need advice plz.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

masksof2004

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone who took you valuable time to read this and reply back. So here's the problem....

I am a cali resident... have been living in california for about 4 years now (graduated from high school her... currently attending a UC).

The problem is that I moved to US 4 years ago on a dependent (H4B) visa. My visa has expired... but i have applied for permanent residency (Greencard) about 3 years ago. so technically, since i have applied for I-485 (greencard), i dont need a visa and am considered a legal resident of california. My lawyer says that my greencard should be coming in by september-december 2008.
if they find out at a later date... that i still do not have my greencard.. will the school offer me a greencard

The problem is... that state schools (UCLA and UCSF) say that they require grrencard at the time of application. i want to know... how strongly do they abide to these rules... i.e. What part of the application process do you actually send in a copy of your greencard/other legal paperwork... is it after interview, or after secondaries, or after primaries?

Since I have applied for greencard... i already have an alien number. and also i know that private schools do not care much about the residency status. So can i just fill in the Permanat resident option of the application and turn it in... and when they ask, i will give them my alien number.???

If i do fill out the permanent resident option, and if they find out at a later date... that i still do not have my greencard.. will the school offer me a student visa... or will they reject me as a fraud?

I do not want to apply as an international student, because that will close my greencard file, and i will have to go searching for H1 sponsor 4 years from now when i graduate from dental school.... and i also have to pay extra fees for almost about everything... and i cant afford it as much. also, because i m not a permanant resident... and wont be one if i applied as an international... i will never get any financial aid.

i do not know what to do... i hope somebody who has been in the same boat as me... or somebody with experience can help me out.

thanks for reading this long of a mssg, and replyin back.
-masksof2004

Members don't see this ad.

First of all, has your priority date for I-485 passed? (If you filed your form 4 years ago, I highly doubt that it has passed.) If your priority date has not passed, and your Visa has expired, you are illegal.

Anyways, you need to attach a copy of your greencard when you fill out secondary applications for UCLA. As you know the school send out secondary as soon as they receive your AADSAS app. And there is quite short deadline for secondary app. Therefore, if you do not have a green card until the schools receive your first AADSAS app, you may face a problem with secondary app.

For in-state tuition and all, I heard you can still change your state residency after the first year of program and pay only as much as other residents do.

First of all, has your priority date for I-485 passed? (If you filed your form 4 years ago, I highly doubt that it has passed.) If your priority date has not passed, and your Visa has expired, you are illegal.

That's what I thought too. You should ask schools just to be sure though.

Either way, if you ARE illegal, you will have trouble filling out the neccesary paperwork after being accepted, so it's best to get everything straighten out right now.

Members don't see this ad :)
i am completely LEGAL... i have my social security and work permit.... and i go to school as a state resident (i pay state resident fees... not out of state)... so everything that way is clear and straightened out...

its just the question about applying as a permanent resident... or as "other" (in the "state your visa" category of the application). and most likely i am not applying to UCLA and UCSF right now (will apply to those schools after the greeencard comes in, if it ever does come in before the deadline)... i am only applying to private schools... UOP top choice.

thanks for the reply though!
-masksof2004

i thought u are perm resident when u get alien # (A with 9 digits)...

i am completely LEGAL... i have my social security and work permit.... and i go to school as a state resident (i pay state resident fees... not out of state)... so everything that way is clear and straightened out...

U r legal indeed.......I dont think you'll have any problem with work permit on the hand and green card on the way.......
lived for four years + possession of work permit = A resident

:thumbup:

So, now the question is .... can i apply as a "permanent resident" or should i put "other" in 'US Visa Status' part of the application? :confused: