Residency survival tips for an IMG

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rameses

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am actually an IMG , just started my peds residency in a very good program.
I know my clinical knowledge is fairly good as any American graduate and I really make sure I do my homework, my upper levels are fine with my work, and yet I am concerned about my overall performance as a resident... During my interview trail, some top programs didn't call me simply becoz I am an IMG inspite of my good credentials. I just would like to see some views on what exactly are the cons of having an IMG as a resident, so that I can work on them (probably except for the one that I am not an American graduate) and be a good resident..I really would like it if anyone would share their thoughts on the subject...Even "politically incorrect" opinions are welcome. Thanks a lot...

Members don't see this ad.

Hopefully, a new "us vs. them" war won't start here. ALL countries are protective of their home turf. Europe is no different than the states. Having a medical hierarchy allows control over the "workers" (dr's) and of policy and laws that govern those "workers" (dr's) again. USMG will always be top of the hierarchy and second (and not in any order) are IMG's and DO's. Now some DO's will disagree with me, but Allopathic medicine runs this country and will always. Some states even require additional training for DO's before starting an allopathic residency. Why? DO's are just as good as any MD. But it's just another way to keep in check any competition for control over policy and (salary). IMg's are also put through onerous hurdles to practice medicine in the US even though the US health care system would collapse without them. (Why would a nation deliberately graduate a dr. shortfall of 6-7,000 every year?) Why not correct that problem? Anyway, while the allopathic docs have been so busy making DO's and IMG's life hell and now USMG's with that farsical Step 2 CS, loads of midlevel health professionals continue to make inroads into what was only a few years ago, strictly Dr. patient care protocol. Thats a whole other matter. So to answer your question, as long as there are "other" types of docs working in the US hospitals, it helps distract from the plethora of other shortcomings our AMA leaders and US health care in general have failed at. Sorry, you will always be an IMG. Just take care of your patients and work hard and you'll succeed. just don't aspire to be dept. chairman anytime soon. Only you-know-who can achieve that!! GL

"Some states even require additional training for DO's before starting an allopathic residency."

this statement is wrong

State of Florida requires all DO applicants to allopathic residencies to do one year DO internship before applying. may not sound too bad, but it's still an implicit way of saying "you're different". Sorry.

can people focus on what is being asked?

"I just would like to see some views on what exactly are the cons of having an IMG as a resident, so that I can work on them ... and be a good resident"

You are good doctor first, then IMG second. Don't worry about what other people say. It's human nature to talk and gossip, no matter what your education level may be. Sorry for my long post earlier, I was only trying to say that USMG's from day one are indoctrinated in how great they are and that everyone else is less. So I'm not sure what feedback you're receiving from your upper levels, but just take it, continue to read, show up early and stay late. Do that for two years and nobody will question your abilities. GL :thumbup:

State of Florida requires all DO applicants to allopathic residencies to do one year DO internship before applying.

i realize that this is not about this thread, but u are giving out wrong information to people. It is the osteopathic profession that requires doctors in florida (and 4 other states) to complete an osteopathic internship not the allopathic residency program.

First, I'm sorry we stole the OP forum. Secondly, see the below link:

http://www.jaoa.org/cgi/content/full/104/6/230

That your own organizations attempt to limit your ability to pratice is a surprise, but does not change the thrust of my statement, that DO's and IMG's have to endure a different playing field as we try to establish our careers. I have great respect for the DO trained physician as well as a number of IMG's. I will join those ranks soon. To the OP, just show a hard work ethic and everything else will fall in place. Anyway, most of the US nurses I've worked with are foreign anyway! ha! GL

APACHE3 said:
First, I'm sorry we stole the OP forum. Secondly, see the below link:

http://www.jaoa.org/cgi/content/full/104/6/230

That your own organizations attempt to limit your ability to pratice is a surprise, but does not change the thrust of my statement, that DO's and IMG's have to endure a different playing field as we try to establish our careers. I have great respect for the DO trained physician as well as a number of IMG's. I will join those ranks soon. To the OP, just show a hard work ethic and everything else will fall in place. Anyway, most of the US nurses I've worked with are foreign anyway! ha! GL

Its done in an effort to keep us involved with the AOA. You can have the year waved. You can do an allo residency in those states and move elsewhere. Regardless its off track.

To the OP, don't fret about comparing yourself to US trained graduates. You are in and that's what counts. Definitely don't correlate your potential future performance with some unreturned interest from a few programs. Doesn't work that way. Just bust your tail and thats all anyone could ask of you. It also helps to have a benign personality...sort of late to work on that though eh?

You don't have any problems being an IMG. The program is the one that may develop a complex. Programs that take IMGs are seen, right or wrong, as "less competetive." (An IMG got in there, right?) Don't worry about it, just do your work and pass the boards.