residency to academia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

clarkbar

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What residencies, and what likelihood is there to get an academic job out of resdiency? Are there any particular residencies or extra certifications that could help? How difficult is it to get these positions?

Members don't see this ad.

What residencies, and what likelihood is there to get an academic job out of resdiency? Are there any particular residencies or extra certifications that could help? How difficult is it to get these positions?

Many residencies offer teaching certificates. A teaching certificate isn't required to land a faculty position, but apparently many schools view it as a plus. Also, most faculty positions now require PGY2s. Some newer schools may be fine with just a PGY1 though.

Many residencies offer teaching certificates. A teaching certificate isn't required to land a faculty position, but apparently many schools view it as a plus. Also, most faculty positions now require PGY2s. Some newer schools may be fine with just a PGY1 though.

Agree with the above.

I was interested in faculty but had some problems getting a job because I always lost out to someone who had experience beyond residency...at least at a credible school. Looking back, now that I have worked for a few yrs..I would make a much better educator than straight out of residency.