Residency tracts for women who have kids

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cmyoung83

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there any residency programs that are prolonged for women with children? I know that one program exists in california. Internal med that is 5 years long- no calls, no weekends, etc. I was wondering if anyone has heard of anything else. I graduated in June and took the year off while my husband is finishing his training. I was planning on applying this september, but found out I will be having a baby in Feb. Instead of starting residency with a 6 month old and a husband in fellowship, I am left having to take another year off (I know plenty of women that are in residency and have kids, but I'm not willing to make that sacrifice at the expense of my children). Please let me know if anyone knows anything

Members don't see this ad.

Are there any residency programs that are prolonged for women with children? I know that one program exists in california. Internal med that is 5 years long- no calls, no weekends, etc. I was wondering if anyone has heard of anything else. I graduated in June and took the year off while my husband is finishing his training. I was planning on applying this september, but found out I will be having a baby in Feb. Instead of starting residency with a 6 month old and a husband in fellowship, I am left having to take another year off (I know plenty of women that are in residency and have kids, but I'm not willing to make that sacrifice at the expense of my children). Please let me know if anyone knows anything
I am gonna be starting medical school in the fall but the field of general preventive medicine interests me, and one of the reasons was the lifestyle, as well as the residency program itself. Its a year of clinicals, and 2 years of getting your MPH. So basically a year of clinicals and some more school. If it is something you would feel interested in, check out http://www.acpm.org/RPS/Research&Education.htm theres a residency directory and more info. Its not a very well known field from what I hear.

I am 50 and wanting children. Let my license expire and am relicensing. I am not sure I will be getting the 'residency of my dreams'; at this point I just want to pay off my debt and have a stressfree lifestyle. How does one find out about 'special programs like this'?