Residency views on European grades

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TrainingWheels

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a somewhat strange question regarding how residency programs view grades from European (central to be precise) med schools. I have obtained all 1s (As) in every class first year except one. I failed the first attempt then got a 3 (C) on the second attempt. My question is if residency programs just see the end grade (C) or the grade and attempt (C 2nd attempt)? The reason I ask is that I have a much better understanding of the subject now and can score a 1 if I go to third attempt.

AKA would it be more favorable for them to see C 2nd attempt or A 3rd attempt (if they see attempts at all)? Thanks for all the help guys/gals.

Members don't see this ad.

no one cares how you did in your preclinical classes and if you have to keep retaking to get a better grade then that grade is meaningless anyone and everyone could do the same! just forget about it. whether they will see your failures or retakes will depend on what your medical school puts on your transcript. really all anyone is interested in is your performance n your clinical rotations (medicine, surgery, pediatrics, obstetrics/gynecology, psychiatry, neurology and family medicine). An overall class ranking may also be looked at if available. Whether any of this is looked at all will depend on whether your medical school is known or respected. If not, it won't matter at all because they won't know how to interpret it.

Believe me, no one cares. If you do some away rotations at US hospitals, make sure you get an evaluation in addition to a LOR. That way you can have your school put the written evaluation comments in your MSPE. This is especially important if your school does not provide written evaluations. These evaluations from US hospitals will hold much more weight than your med school grades that no one can really interpret. I agree with splik that the reputation of your school is very important as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
So you're saying that this one slight slip-up is overlooked by US residencies in lieu of things such as Step 1 scores (which I've already begun prep for) etc? The main reason that I ask is that I obviously don't want any red flags being raised.

PS - I've also heard about the possibility of transfer to a US med school to finish the last two (clinical years) when you present stellar preclinical grades and a high (240+) Step 1. Is there any truth to this or were my expat friends just pulling my leg?

Which country are you studying in? How is it possible to re-take courses for a better grade (assuming you passed already)? The fact you failed the course the first time may not even show up on your transcript, only the final grade. Even if it did, I doubt anyone would make an issue of it, so try not to worry about it. The most important things are your US LORS, Step scores, research, and academic pedigree.

I've never heard of any firsthand stories of people transferring from European to US medical schools. It may be possible but it is probably pretty difficult since getting a spot is contingent upon someone quitting med school, which is pretty unusual in the US.

Studying in Prague right now. I didn't fail the course (actually got a good grade in it). The final just took me completely by surprise and in hindsight I should have studied much more. Basically I want to know if US residencies see the attempt number (we are given 2 attempts at a final before going to a committee) and grade or just the final grade. Really have no idea what residencies even see on the transcripts to be honest :)

Hmm have you ordered a transcript from your school before? That is probably what it will look like. Or ask one of your classmates. Either way, no one will care, especially since your other grades are good. Focus on your Steps and getting good LORs from US rotations. Worrying about one grade will drain your energy from more productive endeavors. ;-)