Residency with a felony conviction?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MD2014class

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
When I was 22 ,I was convicted of a felony ( credit card fraud) in Georgia. Before the conviction I started PA school and graduated and got a license. I been working as a PA for 20 years now. I been studying medicine for 2 years now and my school knows about the conviction . I am worry about getting residency with the felony conviction. any one been in the same boat or have an idea or know if someone got a license and a residency with a felony conviction? by the way background check will turn negative if it is done without the fingerprints. Even my school told me there was no record of the conviction. however there was an error in the last name when it was entered in the court. Any one been in the same boat or knows someone with such a record?

Members don't see this ad.

are you in med school now? because you should have looked into this years ago.

you might get a license, but being an ex-con won't help.

same for residency. if you were applying to my program, I wouldn't even acknowledge the application. nothing personal, but why take a chance on someone with a felony record?

I know someone that went through this. They matched and got licensed. Don't know the specifics but the conviction was way in their past and it required a brief explanation in front of the board.

Edit: you did get licensed as a PA, I assume. Any challenges with that or was it overlooked?

Since you got a PA license, odds are you can get a physician license after explaining everything, appearing in front of the board, etc. The bigger issue will be whether employers/hospitals will hire you with a felony conviction. Having a PA license continuously for 20 years will help your cause, but it's still a black mark on your record. You will need to have a reason for people to hire you over other candidates, since the conviction puts you at a huge disadvantage.

are you in med school now? because you should have looked into this years ago.

you might get a license, but being an ex-con won't help.

same for residency. if you were applying to my program, I wouldn't even acknowledge the application. nothing personal, but why take a chance on someone with a felony record?

I appeared before the State Board for PA and granted me PA license. for the last 22 years no problems with the law not even a driving ticket. My concern is finding a residency with a felony conviction for credit cards fraud.

When I was 22 ,I was convicted of a felony ( credit card fraud) in Georgia. Before the conviction I started PA school and graduated and got a license. I been working as a PA for 20 years now. I been studying medicine for 2 years now and my school knows about the conviction . I am worry about getting residency with the felony conviction. any one been in the same boat or have an idea or know if someone got a license and a residency with a felony conviction? by the way background check will turn negative if it is done without the fingerprints. Even my school told me there was no record of the conviction. however there was an error in the last name when it was entered in the court. Any one been in the same boat or knows someone with such a record?
I appeared before the State Board for PA and granted me PA license. for the last 22 years no problems with the law not even a driving ticket. My concern is finding a residency with a felony conviction for credit cards fraud.
It's a black mark but a 22 yo black mark isn't going to prevent you from finding a job. You will need to disclose it, as failure to do so will result in board action if discovered.

Reactions: 1 user