PADPM

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Feb 22, 2009
East Coast-maybe????
Status
Attending Physician
Some of the Veterans Hospitals by the nature of their population will have greater exposure to diabetic patients.

Diabeticfootdr may be able to answer your question since his specialty is really diabetic limb salvage, and Podfather will also be helpful since he is very involved with the ABPS and residency training, and seems to have a great knowledge of a lot of programs.

Aug 26, 2010
Not where you think
Status
Attending Physician
Dr. Lafontaine's program in San Antonio is known for it work with diabetic patients. It is the same program that Larry Harkless used to run and if it is anything like its was ten years ago, you will get a lot of exposure to Diabetic wounds and limb salvage.

krabmas

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 15, 2004
California
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Inova has a pretty strong emphasis on it. Luckily it is not the entire residency training. 3 months with Steinberg and Attinger at Georgetown in the 3rd year and a month of plastics as a 3rd year at Inova. When looking at off-service rotations at different residency programs it is important to note when you go off service. If all your off-service rotations are in the 1st year most likely you will be the "floor-*****" intern scut monkey for that service and not much tissue time (not always, but usually). If the rotation is later in training, you will probably have a more integral role on the service and get more OR time.

There are many programs that see lots of wounds, but this does not mean they are good at treating them.

The prominant pods in the wound care world have done fellowships in wound care to help propel them in that direction.

If this is what you are interested in, match a good residency program for general podiatric surgery training, then do a wound care fellowship.

DLS/wound care fellowships that I know of:
Steinberg has a research fellowship
Armstrong has a research/surgical fellowship
Zgonis has a research fellowship and a surgical fellowship - 2 positions
Vicki Driver has a wound care fellowship
Lee Rogers may start one???? What do you think LCR?

Podfather

7+ Year Member
May 10, 2009
Status
Attending Physician
Any residencies with an emphasis in wound care?
Obviously geographic areas with higher diabetic populations will see more diabetics. San Antonio, AZ, FL, etc. Are you looking for wound care or diabetic reconstruction? There are many programs that have wound care clinics and provide decent exposure to the science of wound healing and the latest technology, orthobiologics, and research. There are IMO very few quality places that focus on diabetic/charcot reconstruction. Some are mentioned above. Research oriented diabetic wound care numbers are smaller.

Could you please be more specific as to your goals.

Foot Doc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 17, 2007
KY
Status
Attending Physician
What about Jewish in Louisville?
we have a fellowship in DM limb salvage and reconstruction. As far as the residency, higher focus in trauma/recon/elective with a lot of DM emphasis but not the main focus.

wcb

Jan 9, 2011
Status
Non-Student
I am developing the educational component of my site which I hope will be kind of a portal site for all variations of wound care information and resources.....

I want to include a formal education (residency's/fellowships) section specific to wound care, so I am in need of links and program descriptions. Do you have contact info or links to any of these;
Steinberg has a research fellowship
Armstrong has a research/surgical fellowship
Zgonis has a research fellowship and a surgical fellowship - 2 positions
Vicki Driver has a wound care fellowship
Lee Rogers may start one???? What do you think LCR?
and Foot Doc could you provide details also?

Information related to certifications is abundant, but feel free to include all that you know of.
Thanks everyone.

wcb

Jan 9, 2011
Status
Non-Student
Thanks footdoc.
krabmas, I see that it is their wound center, but I did not find any specif information relating to a residency. I did find their plastic's program info... Do they accept applications specif to the center?

The problem I am having is that almost all program descriptions mention wound care, but it is extremely hard to determine which ones have a specific focus on
wound care. You would think a billion dollar industry would have it's own program.

Thanks again everyone

krabmas

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 15, 2004
California
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Thanks footdoc.
krabmas, I see that it is their wound center, but I did not find any specif information relating to a residency. I did find their plastic's program info... Do they accept applications specif to the center?

The problem I am having is that almost all program descriptions mention wound care, but it is extremely hard to determine which ones have a specific focus on
wound care. You would think a billion dollar industry would have it's own program.

Thanks again everyone
Dr. Steinberg has a research fellowship for after residency. I'm not sure how to apply besides contacting him through the wound center.