nanali

10+ Year Member
Feb 9, 2005
Status
Hi there, this might be a stupid question *sorry. Anyway, my question is: If someone wanted to specialized in dermatology, and got a residency, do only concentrate about dermatology? Or if you want to do surgery, do you only work in the surgery part of the hospital? I am really confused. Thanks

Law2Doc

5K+ Member
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
nanali said:
Hi there, this might be a stupid question *sorry. Anyway, my question is: If someone wanted to specialized in dermatology, and got a residency, do only concentrate about dermatology? Or if you want to do surgery, do you only work in the surgery part of the hospital? I am really confused. Thanks
You may want to ask this in the allo board to get the specifics as to timing, but I believe that regardless of what specialty you go into you will work as a generalist first.

TheRussian

Life Size Mirror
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2004
Boston, MA
Visit site
Status
With most specialties during residency you'll be working just in that department. The only exceptions is that most specialties require you to do an intern year of internal medicine which is completely different from the specialty. For some specialties like GI, cardio, hem/onc you need to do a 3 year Internal medicine residency and then you can apply for fellowships in your desired specialty.

pakidoc

go stl cardinals!!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 6, 2004
Status
nanali said:
if you get a res. in derm, you will work only in derm. if you get a res in internal med, you will work in internal med subspecialities (gastro, cardio, hepato etc), if you get a surgical res, you will work in either general surgury or a specific surgical subspeciality, like throcic or neuro..... and so on

however, in your 3rd and 4th yr rotations you get to work in pretty much any field that you want. you can do a 1 mo. rotation in derm, another in obgyn, surgury, emergency, etc etc..... which ever area you like in ur rotations, you will probably want to do your residency in that.

hope that helps