Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EcoRI

7+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know which state schools will grant residency status to out-of-staters after completing their first year of school?
Also, would it improve your chances if you are married and your spouse is working full time? I'm specifically interested in the University of Louisvile.
Thanks
EcoRI

Members don't see this ad.

Eco,

I know that with UNLV you may receive residency after one year. I believe the same is true with Lousiville. Some states have additional stipulations which say that if you are dependent on your spouse, and your spouse moves to an area for the purpose of working full-time, then you are made a resident upon moving to the state.

I'd check with Louisville directly to determine their qualifications.

Have you received an interview from them?

I know that UK won't allow you to become a resident while in school so I would guess the same would be true with Louisville. I am not sure about how it works if your spouse is working though.

Members don't see this ad :)
It depends to the state and the school. I bet if it is a semi-private school you will be stuck with non-res tuition all the way.
In interview that I had at temple, Mark told us we can change our residency after a year.

University of Nebraska will usually allow residency after one year but I do not know all the details. The one school to really look at is Ohio State University. They have a great school and they will allow you to have residency all four years if your wife is working full time for more than two weeks before you start school. I have a lot of buddies from my university and this is the major reason that they chose to go to Ohio State. Very Affordable!! But the kicker is you have to be married because there is no way a dental student could work full time and qualify for the in state residency status. As for Louisville, another friend of mine that is a D-1 student there had to sign a paper saying he would not get in state residency status while attending the four years. So it is a no go at Louisville.

Respective state laws easily allow first year matriculating non resident dental students to obtain resident status for tution purposes after one year at both UW and UCONN.

New Jersey is another state that is easy to get residency in. Students from UMDNJ said that all they had to do was move in 3 months before schools started, get a New Jersey Driver's lisence and savings (or is it checking) account and you end up with residency status. So, even though you were accepted as an out-of-stater, you will pay in-state tuition for all 4 years....assuming you get all the paperwork done in time, which I hear is quite easy.

cochino

You were right. The associate dean finally got back to me. She said if you begin as a nonresident you have to pay non resident tuition all 4 years. Oh well, the out of state tuition is still cheaper than many private institutions. Also the cost of living in Kentucky is probably pretty reasonable.
Does your friend like the dental program at Louisville?
Thanks to everyone for their feedback.
EcoRI