Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Resident Alien

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by bujji13, Dec 6, 2001.

1. bujji13

bujji13 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hi,
    I read on another thread that you were planning to finish your undergrad degree in 3 years. Are you planning to go to med school right away (in other words, have already applied ) or are you taking a year off (and applying this upcoming year)? I ask b/c I was also planning on graduating this year (Im a junior) but was strongly discouraged by my pre-med advisor, even though I was planning on taking next year off from school to do something constructive. Anyway, youre one of the few people with a similar situation to mine that Ive heard of, so I would appreciate your feedback. Thanks!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. teapot16

teapot16 Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

I know this is for resident alien, but I'm in the same boat as you are. I am graduating my junior year and I will be attending medical school in the fall. (I've applied and been accepted) As long as you have a good GPA and MCAT, I say go for it. Keep it mind that a lot of schools will ask you what you did during your year off so do something constructive or something you like. Also, some of my interviewrs seem to have concerns about only doing 3 years of undergrad but just convinve them you're ready for med school. Besides that, I don't have any regrets and can't wait to start med school. Peace.

3. bujji13

bujji13 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. You Think I'm Sexy

You Think I'm Sexy Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Bujji,

I'm in my third year of college and will be graduating in June. Upon speaking with some advisors, I was told that this was not the best idea, since I had to double up on pre-med requirements for two years (chem/physics, bio/ochem). Overall, I'd have to agree. If I wasn't taking 22 units a quarter, I know that my grades in the sciences would be better. I wanted to start medical school directly after graduating, but I'm just taking o-chem now, so I decided to take the MCAT's in April. For my year off, I plan to pursue lab work, and continue my work in law enforcement.

To teapot -- did you also have extensive EC's?? I'm volunteering 20-30 hrs a week and an in the process of applying to become an tech in an ER. Congrats on your acceptance!! I guess that some of the advisors I spoke with were wrong... It can be done!! :)

Best of luck to both of you!

5. teapot16

teapot16 Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

I was accepted to Univ Of IL at Chicago, but I'm still waiting on some schools so I don't know if I'll end up there. I'll be happy there though b/c that's my undergrad school. Anyways, I don't have an extensive clinical experience, but I volunteered for a year 4hrs a week. I have a good amount but not too many ECs. Just research, part-time job in retail, and fraternity. Yes it can be done and I know at least two other people that has done it this year from my university alone and have been accepted to some great programs.