Resident feeling like a student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lovestudying

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
i feel like a student. Im excluded from everything in my rotation and the senior resident runs it. I dont want to go into details because of the sensitivity of it. My program is unhelpful and im unaware what to do for myself.

Can someone guide me?

This is very depressing.

Members don't see this ad.

i feel like a student. Im excluded from everything in my rotation and the senior resident runs it. I dont want to go into details because of the sensitivity of it. My program is unhelpful and im unaware what to do for myself.

Can someone guide me?

This is very depressing.

Have you tried discussing your concerns with the resident?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Yes i have. He basically said he needs to see improvement. Which ive made per attending but im still treated unfairly.

Members don't see this ad :)
I see this all the time. Find out exactly what you can to do to improve, find what the weaknesses are. Sometimes its a personality thing where upper level residents/fellows etc run the show because they know if something happens its gonna be them taking the beating. I let my residents run things when I know that they are accountable, hard working, knowledgeable, and mostly knowing that they know when they know and don't know what they are doing (someone who doesnt know when they don't know is dangerous and I watch them like a hawk because of the dangers of someone making wreckless decisions). How prepared are you during rounds?? can you answer most the questions about labs and whats going on or does someone above you have to jump in a lot?? If I have a resident that has an A-game, thinks inside and outside the box and I can follow their thought process I will back off and let them handle it because I know that they will come to me to discuss things soon enough. The ones that try to keep me in the loop by updating me about changes (which I already know) show me that they are thorough and on the ball. I wont put the labs in for them and work everything up but I know what I will do if they do not. When it comes to a crashing situation thats where it gets tricky. If they are running a code and doing the right steps I will be right there with them and let them run it but interject here and their to optimize care if needed. I hold as much hand as I need to know the patient is getting the best care. IF i get a resident struggling with simple cases and low volumes I tend to step in quite a bit to let them do the highest quality work that they can do and sometimes if may feel like I snagged a patient. Bottom line...its about the patient care and if you can contribute in that highest level of care I would doubt that the resident would snub you (if you have a resident that can run the show it helps the senior supervise and oversee the entire team as opposed to every individual detailed minutia).

WIthout knowing the underlying circumstances, I would say that you just need to make sure you're pushing yourself to meet your residents expectations and actively seek feedback. If this is the first time you've felt like this with this particular resident, it may not be you. But if this is happening when you've worked with multiple residents, then potentially you need to do a bit more of self reflection to make sure you find your deficits and work on them. That said, the first few months of residency are typically learning the ropes.

Is the resident a 2nd or a 3rd year? I remember being a 2nd year resident and obsessively checking and rechecking all my interns task ( though I do let them do stuff). It was hard to delegate in the beginning as a 2nd year resident. When I become a 3rd year resident, I was much more hands-off and focus on the important stuff IF ( key word IF) I trust my intern.

Or this particularly resident may just be the type who have difficulty delegating in general.