Resident files Federal lawsuit against program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DFMres

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have learned something recently that is rather troubling. It is about the Duke Family Medicine Program. Yes again. It is not my intent to slander the program but to present facts to applicants and potential applicants that I cannot share in person due to fear of retaliation from the Duke FM administration. I have learned that in November 2005 a former resident who has recently left Duke FM and is now at another Family Medicine Residency Program has filed a Federal Lawsuit against Duke University Health System for the way she was treated by the current division head of Family Medicine at Duke and a number of other individuals in the Family Medicine Department, the Duke GME office and the Duke Employee Health office. The lawsuit alleges the following:

1. The plaintiff was demoted on the basis of a perceived learning disability.
2. Failure to grant reasonable accommodations to plaintiff in violation of the Americans with Disabilities Act
3. Demotion and Termination on account of her race in violation of Title VII of the Civil Rights act of 1964.
4. Imposition of unequal terms and conditions of employment because of her race.
5. State law breach of contract.

This is public record and was filled at the Greensboro Federal Courthouse. If you would like you can call (336)-332-6000 and ask for case # 05CV00969. It is important to me that all applicants know the facts so that they can make an informed decision about all programs, not just Duke, when making their rank lists. Don’t be afraid to ask the tough questions. Three years can be a long time if you are unhappy.

Good luck to all in the upcoming match.

Members don't see this ad.

DFMres said:
I have learned something recently that is rather troubling. It is about the Duke Family Medicine Program. Yes again. It is not my intent to slander the program but to present facts to applicants and potential applicants that I cannot share in person due to fear of retaliation from the Duke FM administration. I have learned that in November 2005 a former resident who has recently left Duke FM and is now at another Family Medicine Residency Program has filed a Federal Lawsuit against Duke University Health System for the way she was treated by the current division head of Family Medicine at Duke and a number of other individuals in the Family Medicine Department, the Duke GME office and the Duke Employee Health office. The lawsuit alleges the following:

1. The plaintiff was demoted on the basis of a perceived learning disability.
2. Failure to grant reasonable accommodations to plaintiff in violation of the Americans with Disabilities Act
3. Demotion and Termination on account of her race in violation of Title VII of the Civil Rights act of 1964.
4. Imposition of unequal terms and conditions of employment because of her race.
5. State law breach of contract.

This is public record and was filled at the Greensboro Federal Courthouse. If you would like you can call (336)-332-6000 and ask for case # 05CV00969. It is important to me that all applicants know the facts so that they can make an informed decision about all programs, not just Duke, when making their rank lists. Don’t be afraid to ask the tough questions. Three years can be a long time if you are unhappy.

Good luck to all in the upcoming match.

When is enough, enough? I understand posting information about programs, but when you already have 10+ threads open about the SAME program, can't you just continue the thread? Don't get me wrong, it is really humerous to see you and the 4 other people start new threads bitching about the same things almost every week, but come on.

sparky5 said:
When is enough, enough? I understand posting information about programs, but when you already have 10+ threads open about the SAME program, can't you just continue the thread? Don't get me wrong, it is really humerous to see you and the 4 other people start new threads bitching about the same things almost every week, but come on.

As a fourth year looking at FP programs, I appreciate the candid manner in which the residents from Duke have spoken about their program. Programs present their best foot forward for interviews, and it's not until after you're an EMPLOYEE that you see the full story. It can be an extremely rude awakening for many, and I for one sure as hell would rather learn now, not later.

No worries,
radonc_gal