Jan 11, 2020
Status
MD/PhD Student
Hey guys,

I did not see any recent review on this, Has anyone heard of Resident medical or the Everest foundation? It is being run by Dr Everest and Greg someone i think.

I see this recent article on them: Residents Medical Celebrates Women Doctors in Honor of 2019 International Women’s Day | Florida Newswire

Apparently, they help people get into a residency program but they charge a hefty sum but half upfront and rest after you make it into residency

I know some people will comment scam cause they charge money etc but i rather have a proper discussion because they have been in business for over 10 years, if it was a scam wouldn't they be gone by now?

aProgDirector

Pastafarians Unite!
10+ Year Member
Oct 11, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
Oh good. It's these people again.

The "article" you have linked to is a press release. It was written by the group themselves. It's basically an advertisement.

Older threads on SDN:

Last edited:

sb247

Doer of things
7+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2012
Galt's Gulch
forums.studentdoctor.net
Hey guys,

I did not see any recent review on this, Has anyone heard of Resident medical or the Everest foundation? It is being run by Dr Everest and Greg someone i think.

I see this recent article on them: Residents Medical Celebrates Women Doctors in Honor of 2019 International Women’s Day | Florida Newswire

Apparently, they help people get into a residency program but they charge a hefty sum but half upfront and rest after you make it into residency

I know some people will comment scam cause they charge money etc but i rather have a proper discussion because they have been in business for over 10 years, if it was a scam wouldn't they be gone by now?
As someone who just opened an account here, any change you are just trying to advertise for a scummy service that rips off the desperate end of our forums demographics?

About the Ads
OP
L
Jan 11, 2020
Status
MD/PhD Student
As someone who just opened an account here, any change you are just trying to advertise for a scummy service that rips off the desperate end of our forums demographics?
Hey sorry yes i am new, Not here to advertise I want to just know more since I recently had a conversation with them.
this is the only forum i read details about this but it was all older information so hence i started a new topic.

I know many would disagree but i spoke to them and they connected me to residents who they got in.

Here is my just my thought/confusion what you might say.

Cons:
- No one properly comes out and says they got in through them, Have connected to some resident but like 1/10 would reply back to me and rest just ignore
- They want a decent sum upfront from what i have read it ranges between 100-150K
- SDN and other forums everyone when they hear about them say they are SCAM ,
- There are multiple law suits against them.

PRO:
- they want half upfront and rest in a trust when you get into residency (which makes you put faith in them)
- The residents they mention or help you connect are in the hospital they mentioned
- I have attended their video conferences with some success stories, and they give you details about the process which would make sense as someone going through it.

Overall, I am confuse not here to sell anything, I know they would target specific students like me who have not been able to match for few years and are very nervous/scared about what future holds for them.

I know everyone is skeptical here but I would really like some productive information, something recent or someone who has experience with them

• Dislike
Reactions: AdmiralChz

sb247

Doer of things
7+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2012
Galt's Gulch
forums.studentdoctor.net
Hey sorry yes i am new, Not here to advertise I want to just know more since I recently had a conversation with them.
this is the only forum i read details about this but it was all older information so hence i started a new topic.

I know many would disagree but i spoke to them and they connected me to residents who they got in.

Here is my just my thought/confusion what you might say.

Cons:
- No one properly comes out and says they got in through them, Have connected to some resident but like 1/10 would reply back to me and rest just ignore
- They want a decent sum upfront from what i have read it ranges between 100-150K
- SDN and other forums everyone when they hear about them say they are SCAM ,
- There are multiple law suits against them.

PRO:
- they want half upfront and rest in a trust when you get into residency (which makes you put faith in them)
- The residents they mention or help you connect are in the hospital they mentioned
- I have attended their video conferences with some success stories, and they give you details about the process which would make sense as someone going through it.

Overall, I am confuse not here to sell anything, I know they would target specific students like me who have not been able to match for few years and are very nervous/scared about what future holds for them.

I know everyone is skeptical here but I would really like some productive information, something recent or someone who has experience with them
Wanting $50k up front to improperly(and maybe illegally) bribe residencies to take unqualified applicants is not a “pro”

aProgDirector

Pastafarians Unite!
10+ Year Member
Oct 11, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
Found this also: SLU medical school gets $6.6 million to boost primary care training

This is very interesting, and concerning. They donated a large amount of money to create several new resident and research positions. But they get to control the applicants to the research fellowship position, so can then claim that if those people get residency spots that they made that happen. And if they are bringing in more than they donated (i.e. many people pay them and then only a few get a spot) it's a seriously amazing scam, but probably legal.

• Wow
Reactions: Goro

aProgDirector

Pastafarians Unite!
10+ Year Member
Oct 11, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
Looking at their website, it now appears they have created "unaccredited PGY-1 positions". I expect they contact programs and offer to fund these positions (including salary support), then charge applicants a "fee" to help them apply to these positions which covers the costs. It's much more legal than their old business plan of trying to bribe PD's. It allows programs plausible deniability of the shenanigans at play, and can be dismissed as "giving needy people a chance" (which is true).

• Wow
OP
L
Jan 11, 2020
Status
MD/PhD Student
Looking at their website, it now appears they have created "unaccredited PGY-1 positions". I expect they contact programs and offer to fund these positions (including salary support), then charge applicants a "fee" to help them apply to these positions which covers the costs. It's much more legal than their old business plan of trying to bribe PD's. It allows programs plausible deniability of the shenanigans at play, and can be dismissed as "giving needy people a chance" (which is true).
Well i have done 2 years of clinical rotation in US I am a caribbean graduate and we get to see some of the shady hospitals and I know for sure some of them do some fishy stuff under the table.

So their unacredit PGY-1 is what they call research position, and they take basically 60-70% of the money from you when u get into a acgme residency, so its not through them you apply regularly and get into residency then pay.

Aside from that, i dont know if this is legit or not but what i am thinking they do is, "donate" or Sponsor hospitals who in turn favor them with some residency position, As mentioned 6.6 million that is alot of residency spot for any program

OP
L
Jan 11, 2020
Status
MD/PhD Student
Wanting $50k up front to improperly(and maybe illegally) bribe residencies to take unqualified applicants is not a “pro”
I put it as pro cause accordingly to their terms /agreement you sign they have to give you 6-9 months of clinical rotation in a hospital with a stipend, and seeing that I have paid other places to get clinical experience, really good hospitals will charge you close to 1K/week for a Sub-I or Externship which can add close to 20-30K without taking into account living expenses or medical liability insurance some hospitals want you to get.

rokshana

15+ Year Member
Sep 20, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
I put it as pro cause accordingly to their terms /agreement you sign they have to give you 6-9 months of clinical rotation in a hospital with a stipend, and seeing that I have paid other places to get clinical experience, really good hospitals will charge you close to 1K/week for a Sub-I or Externship which can add close to 20-30K without taking into account living expenses or medical liability insurance some hospitals want you to get.
You seemed to want to support this more than hearing that it’s a scam...which raises a bit of a red flag.

And no, good hospitals will not charge a student money for a rotation...they will have a contract/agreement with the med school ( and I went to sgu) to have students placed in a rotation.

Places where the cost of the rotation is borne by the student(well at least directly) is at a shady hospital or a Med school that doesn’t represent their students.

GoSpursGo

Allons-y!
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2008
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
And no, good hospitals will not charge a student money for a rotation...they will have a contract/agreement with the med school ( and I went to sgu) to have students placed in a rotation.

Places where the cost of the rotation is borne by the student(well at least directly) is at a shady hospital or a Med school that doesn’t represent their students.
Or, just for the sake of argument, the OP has already graduated and failed to match at least once. For the IMGs who have graduated and thus don't have a med school to help them get further USCE, they really are at the mercy of some of these scummy hospitals.

Not that it makes this program any less of a scam, but just hypothesizing why the cost is so high for a rotation/externship.

OP
L
Jan 11, 2020
Status
MD/PhD Student
You seemed to want to support this more than hearing that it’s a scam...which raises a bit of a red flag.

hmm I believe you are right well I have an open mind so trying to just make sense of it.
Your statement I do agree with it, because as a Caribbean graduate, our options are very limited, and Acquiring residency seems to be one of the only path especially if you are not a US citizen.

Maybe i also sound like that is cause for the past 3 years, I have worked day n night to gather clinical experience, Travel all over the US and spend alot of money but have had no luck with residency or interviews So someone in my position feels like residency is out of my reach, so if someone gives you the possibility of achieving residency you just wish it was true, so excuse my bias but i do appreciate all the constructive criticism.

OP
L
Jan 11, 2020
Status
MD/PhD Student
Or, just for the sake of argument, the OP has already graduated and failed to match at least once. For the IMGs who have graduated and thus don't have a med school to help them get further USCE, they really are at the mercy of some of these scummy hospitals.

Not that it makes this program any less of a scam, but just hypothesizing why the cost is so high for a rotation/externship.
Hmm maybe i am speaking to multiple US grad here but for us it does cost quite a bit of money to schedule clinical experiences as an IMG, a simple example can be found here: ACE - Find American Medical Rotations

and most of these above are observership which cost you 1800/month, the higher ones like Externship and very few Sub-I will cost somewhere between 700-1000/week.
Anyways thats not the point, I do see the big red flag n flaws, was just hoping someone with a personal experience can intervene since it is a public forum :)

About the Ads
OP
L
Jan 11, 2020
Status
MD/PhD Student
Maybe I just have no idea how IMGs get clinical experience, but this website looks like it was ported over from an old Geocities account.
Just an example bro :) :D Welcome to the dark side of obtaining residency hehe

OP
L
Jan 11, 2020
Status
MD/PhD Student
Board scores? Any failures of boards or repeated years?

no failures, no score step 1: 198 , step 2: 212 , all passed on first attempt
Need visa unfortunately

graduated in 2016
have been working in clinics, university hospitals, unfortunatley have been unable to get infront of right people Have great LOR, getting into visa programs have been my biggest barrier

rokshana

15+ Year Member
Sep 20, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
Need visa unfortunately

graduated in 2016
have been working in clinics, university hospitals, unfortunatley have been unable to get infront of right people Have great LOR, getting into visa programs have been my biggest barrier
And those scores! Have you taken step 3 to show you can do better?

GoSpursGo

Allons-y!
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2008
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Need visa unfortunately

graduated in 2016
I think you're aware that these stats, a relatively remote date of graduation, and needing a visa make matching an uphill battle. Thus I can understand that you're somewhat desperate and are trying to "leave no stone unturned" in trying to find a way to get into a residency.

Unfortunately, I don't think anyone is going to have much positive to say about this group or be able to speak from personal experience. You would be assuming a significant amount of risk and further financial liability if you do pursue their services.

OP
L
Jan 11, 2020
Status
MD/PhD Student
I think you're aware that these stats, a relatively remote date of graduation, and needing a visa make matching an uphill battle. Thus I can understand that you're somewhat desperate and are trying to "leave no stone unturned" in trying to find a way to get into a residency.

Unfortunately, I don't think anyone is going to have much positive to say about this group or be able to speak from personal experience. You would be assuming a significant amount of risk and further financial liability if you do pursue their services.
Yes i pretty much changed my mind about them hopefully i can get into residency through my own hard work all it takes is 1 program director (fingers crossed ) :)

Jan 3, 2019

Don't understand the desperate desire to practice medicine in the US- people can have perfectly reasonable careers with much less work in other industries. Do that perhaps OP. Don't pay some iffy group.

OP
L
Jan 11, 2020
Status
MD/PhD Student
Don't understand the desperate desire to practice medicine in the US- people can have perfectly reasonable careers with much less work in other industries. Do that perhaps OP. Don't pay some iffy group.
Do you mind explaining?

Unfortunately, i guess one of my biggest regret is going to a caribbean med school because without residency the education doesn't get you anywhere, there are many opportunities in the US unfortunately not if you are not a citizen.

Emmet2301

10+ Year Member
Sep 14, 2008
Status
Don't understand the desperate desire to practice medicine in the US- people can have perfectly reasonable careers with much less work in other industries.
@Piebaldi - Ya I understand your line of thinking. However, the payoff in practicing in the US is hugggeeee so people are willing to take a chance no matter how risky.

@Lostcause So you're not a citizen and you're going to a Carib Med school. Are you at least a Permanent Resident? Can I ask why you decided to go this route given the difficulties in getting a residency for non-US persons?

OP
L
Jan 11, 2020
Status
MD/PhD Student
My experience of Everest is that they are an organization that scams wealthy foreign families with false claims of a substantive association with real residencies in the US.
hey can i shoot you a message to get more information on your personal experience

Goro

Gold Donor
7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
My experience of Everest is that they are an organization that scams wealthy foreign families with false claims of a substantive association with real residencies in the US.
Isn't that fraud?

aProgDirector

Pastafarians Unite!
10+ Year Member
Oct 11, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
Since they have donated money to a university and get to pick which applicants are considered for research fellowships, which might then get residency spots, it's probably a stretch to call it fraud. Depends on how they advertise it. But by the same metric, Powerball is a fraud also -- the lottery makes suggestions that you really have a chance of winning.

That said, seems slimy to me, if they are charging large amounts of money for this.

Reactions: Lostcause and Goro
OP
L
Jan 11, 2020
Status
MD/PhD Student
Since they have donated money to a university and get to pick which applicants are considered for research fellowships, which might then get residency spots, it's probably a stretch to call it fraud. Depends on how they advertise it. But by the same metric, Powerball is a fraud also -- the lottery makes suggestions that you really have a chance of winning.

That said, seems slimy to me, if they are charging large amounts of money for this.
It would seriously be so awesome if someone who got it or got scammed through them could contribute cuz that would end the debate once and forever

SXMMD

5+ Year Member
Jul 19, 2013
Status
Resident [Any Field]
It would seriously be so awesome if someone who got it or got scammed through them could contribute cuz that would end the debate once and forever

It is not really a debate, there seems to be a consensus here that this is a predatory scam/ "business model." You just seem to need reassurance that this is not your golden ticket to residency. Let me reassure you, it is not.

If you're not convinced and have the money, give it a whirl, I guess.

Hope you find the success you are looking for, but just keep in mind your desperation makes you an easy target. Protect yourself along the way

OP
L
Jan 11, 2020
Status
MD/PhD Student
It is not really a debate, there seems to be a consensus here that this is a predatory scam/ "business model." You just seem to need reassurance that this is not your golden ticket to residency. Let me reassure you, it is not.

If you're not convinced and have the money, give it a whirl, I guess.

Hope you find the success you are looking for, but just keep in mind your desperation makes you an easy target. Protect yourself along the way
Thank you Those are honest true words spoken

About the Ads