Resident of Two States

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

falkwell

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with my residency issues? I am filing my AMCAS as a citizen of the state of X which is where my mother lives and where I go to undergrad.

However, my parents are divorced and each is a resident of the state in which they have lived for a long time. I have one sister who is in-state at the college of X and another who is in-state UCLA California, claiming legally off the residencies of both of our parents (fully disclosed). How do I let the med schools in California understand that I am also a resident of California, not just of X? I know I could bring it up in my secondary materials, but I probably will not get to the secondary stage without my Cali residency.

Second question. One state gives residency priority to the out-of-state children of its graduates. I can also claim this exception.

I'm leaning toward sending letters, but sending a letter seems as though it will get lost in someone's pile. I tried calling one of the California schools and 3 days later I still have no response.

Any suggestions? I'm comfortable claiming state X, but I wonder what to do next?

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone have any experience with my residency issues? I am filing my AMCAS as a citizen of the state of X which is where my mother lives and where I go to undergrad.

However, my parents are divorced and each is a resident of the state in which they have lived for a long time. I have one sister who is in-state at the college of X and another who is in-state UCLA California, claiming legally off the residencies of both of our parents (fully disclosed). How do I let the med schools in California understand that I am also a resident of California, not just of X? I know I could bring it up in my secondary materials, but I probably will not get to the secondary stage without my Cali residency.

Second question. One state gives residency priority to the out-of-state children of its graduates. I can also claim this exception.

I'm leaning toward sending letters, but sending a letter seems as though it will get lost in someone's pile. I tried calling one of the California schools and 3 days later I still have no response.

Any suggestions? I'm comfortable claiming state X, but I wonder what to do next?
When we (in CA) see that you are a resident of TX we know that your odds of going to a TX school if accepted, are close to 100%. If you believe that you are scholarship material at any of the CA schools, go ahead and apply. If not, there is little to be gained in a CA application (whether you can claim residency here or not).

When we (in CA) see that you are a resident of TX we know that your odds of going to a TX school if accepted, are close to 100%. If you believe that you are scholarship material at any of the CA schools, go ahead and apply. If not, there is little to be gained in a CA application (whether you can claim residency here or not).

I am not a resident of Texas. I am not scholarship material at a CA school, but I might have a chance at admission a few CA schools if I am considered a resident. What is the best manner of informing the California schools to which I am applying that I am (also) a CA resident.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am not a resident of Texas. I am not scholarship material at a CA school, but I might have a chance at admission a few CA schools if I am considered a resident. What is the best manner of informing the California schools to which I am applying that I am (also) a CA resident.
There are only two CA schools that have an preference for IS applicants, UCR (that overtly prefers those with a validated commitment to service in the inland empire, not for all CA applicants), and UCD whose charter includes the provision of physicians to the under-served San Joaquin Valley. If you have demonstrated a commitment to either of these target areas, it should be included in the secondary to these schools.

Reactions: 1 user
I am not scholarship material at a CA school, but I might have a chance at admission a few CA schools if I am considered a resident. What is the best manner of informing the California schools to which I am applying that I am (also) a CA resident.
You cannot be considered a resident of multiple states. You have to pick one. At best, you'll be able to claim "strong ties" to the other state, and (in most states) "strong ties" only apply when you've lived in that state for most of your life and moved out very recently (such as doing undergrad in another state).

Reactions: 1 users
No, I said I had potential reciprocity with Texas which would make me in-state for admission purposes.

"It's a long story, but I qualify as in-state in the state of Texas as well based on reciprocity rules."

There are only two CA schools that have an preference for IS applicants, UCR (that overtly prefers those with a validated commitment to service in the inland empire, not for all CA applicants), and UCD whose charter includes the provision of physicians to the under-served San Joaquin Valley. If you have demonstrated a commitment to either of these target areas, it should be included in the secondary to these schools.

I am originally from Stockton, sixth generation. UCD is my dream school.

You cannot be a resident of two states. You are only the resident of the state of the parent who claims you on their taxes.

You can claim strong ties to the other state, but you are not a resident.