SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Resident put on leave for protesting white supremacy. (also assaulted at work)

Discussion in 'General Residency Issues' started by gallons, Jan 10, 2018.

1. HomeSkool

HomeSkool Excelsior! Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 2+ Year Member

Sep 13, 2013
    Floating in the ether
    He invited you to draw your own conclusions when he chose to become a prominent social media presence. Inferring his intentions isn't OK, but judging his actions is.

Don't lower Him to our level. In fact, let's just leave Him out of this altogether.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
    PlutoBoy and Goro like this.
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. AdmiralChz

AdmiralChz ASA Member 7+ Year Member

Sep 8, 2008
    South
    this thread is... strange. Did a poster just compare this resident to MLK/Jesus? They were many things, but a millennial Twitter troll SJW is not one of them.

The bottom line is this resident has put far more emphasis on his own personal beliefs and keeping himself at the center of attention (see: suing the president of the United States) than learning his craft and making it about patients. I am sure VUMC is actively looking for a way to not renew this guy’s contract for his next PGY year, if they haven’t already.

Lev0phed, neoexile, Osminog and 6 others like this.
  4. rokshana

rokshana Member Physician 10+ Year Member

Sep 19, 2004
    however they didn't go about calling themselves SJWs...their actions spoke for them and others labeled them as such...if you have to go around calling yourself a SJW, well then its more for advertising and to feed your ego, and any justice you accomplish is just by product....

5. Moose A Moose

Moose A Moose 7+ Year Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Philadelphia, PA
    What a sweet, sweet snowflake.

6. Goro

Goro Faculty 7+ Year Member

Jun 10, 2010
    Somewhere west of St. Louis
    Indeed. Whatever side of the political spectrum they're on, it's hard to reason with people who are on a Mission from God. I see a post on Facebook regularly from someone who is pissed off about, of all things, Nestle using Lake Michigan water to make bottled water. It's a belief system for people like this.

7. gallons

gallons

Dec 2, 2016

Another person telling a member of a minority group when where and how to protest injustice.

When all you folks do is attack the messenger instead if dealing with the message it speaks volumes.

How original.

8. greenleaves

greenleaves

Dec 26, 2017
    People are free to protest as they wish, it's just that they have no right to get salty about it when they are terminated. I don't want to go in circles but consider the case of Damore at Google. In his mind he has the same reasoning as you espoused but I'm sure you're not upset about him getting fired over his white manifesto.

Lev0phed, neoexile, DocVapor and 5 others like this.
  9. Perrotfish

Perrotfish Has an MD in Horribleness Physician 10+ Year Member

May 26, 2007
    Just for clarification, almost no one calls themselves a social justice warrior. Its a sarcastic insult, used to imply that someone's actions/concerns are manifestations of a histrionic personality rather than a reasonable reaction to a real problem. It's similar to how people use the word 'snowflake' to imply that someone is not special, and that their problems don't merit special consideration.

There have been some attempts by activists to try to reclaim SJW as a positive term, but my impression is that it such attempts are.rare and aren't working. It's just too pretentious a title for most people to use with a straight face.

Planes2Doc and Goro like this.
  10. rokshana

Sep 19, 2004
    i think that was my point, but if any guy would call them this, i suspect it would be him.

Goro likes this.
  11. Dires

Dires Banned 5+ Year Member

Jan 18, 2012
    I apologize if it seemed like I was personally attacking you. That wasn’t my intention.

12. rokshana

Sep 19, 2004
    and what makes you think everyone here is white? Or not a minority themselves?

nice job making assumptions...

Lev0phed, neoexile, Osminog and 5 others like this.
  13. captaincrunch

captaincrunch Junior Member 10+ Year Member

Oct 5, 2004
    The other term that comes to mind is "slactivism," the sort of lazy online activism without any real action. Of course, we don't really know him, so perhaps he actually does volunteer his time helping others and so forth. He's certainly managed to get his voice beyond Twitter and has been published in credible news publications, so there's that.

tsip and VanDiemen like this.
  14. Donald Juan

Donald Juan 5+ Year Member

May 22, 2011
    GA
    Eugene?

15. gallons

gallons

Dec 2, 2016
    well, very interesting responses. I can tell I will have a good time going against the "white grain" in the medical profession. :0

16. LucidSplash

LucidSplash Wire Jockey Trainee Gold Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Feb 27, 2005
    Not all smoke is signs of actual fire.

WingedOx, Goro, DocVapor and 4 others like this.
  17. FiremedicMike

FiremedicMike 7+ Year Member

Apr 17, 2010
    on second thought.

18. sb247

sb247 wait...you mean I got in? 5+ Year Member

Jul 5, 2012
    Galt's Gulch
    What is white grain?

19. TraumaLlamaMD

TraumaLlamaMD Licensed to chill 2+ Year Member

Sep 18, 2014
    [​IMG] ?

neoexile, WingedOx, Osminog and 5 others like this.
  20. KnuxNole

KnuxNole Sweets Addict 10+ Year Member

May 3, 2006
    The big thing that stands out is posting pictures with an identifiable badge and making things public. If you want to do it, great but don't post it publicly.

He seems to be taking it to the extreme thinking the reason for probation is his stance against white supremacy.

21. captaincrunch

Oct 5, 2004
    Not exactly sure what the "white grain" is, but we can all guess. Politically, medicine is pretty diverse, and it varies regionally, by age and by field. A San Francisco trained pediatrician is likely to be quite liberal, for example.

Your Surgeon Is Probably a Republican, Your Psychiatrist Probably a Democrat

I've known firebrand liberal activists who have done very well in their training and in their careers. They have social media accounts to publicly announce their views. And occasionally they have published something while wearing identifiable logos from the hospital (though you are supposed to avoid this), and didn't end up on probation. There are even ways to become even more politically active through fellowships in public health and policy. So, why is this guy struggling so much? It could be his environment (Vandy) and his field (Surgery), but I suspect a lot of it has to do with his tactics and approach, rather than his views.

22. 194342

194342 Physician 7+ Year Member

Mar 17, 2008
    Man, how does a third year general surgery resident have time for this stuff? Good for him expressing himself and sticking to his guns, I guess. But I personally would have zero time for this stuff in my program.

Goro likes this.
  23. KnuxNole

May 3, 2006
    Perhaps he was able to tweet in between cases!

Or was so efficient in his work that he was able to rant about social justice issues and be a rockstar surgery resident.

24. WingedOx

WingedOx no spoilers. 7+ Year Member

Nov 16, 2010
    the museum of human misery
    I saw this on twitter over the weekend and my bull**** meter was off the charts. Worth it to interrupt my SDN break to get (mostly) the whole story.

Also, c'mon kid. An experienced resident would know to schedule himself for VA clinics on federal holidays.

25. WingedOx

Nov 16, 2010
    To be fair, that is bull****, as is Waukesha getting access to lake water despite being outside the watershed.............. :nono:

26. Goro

Jun 10, 2010
    Is this guy trying to commit professional suicide?

HomeSkool, PlutoBoy, neoexile and 6 others like this.
  27. Raryn

Raryn Infernal Internist / Enigmatic Endocrinologist Physician 7+ Year Member

Apr 25, 2008
    Holy [email protected]#$. This guy has no insight. The pinned tweet he references is Vandy's statement about him. If he doesn't want to get fired, he should flat-out just delete his social media.

Edit:

I just made the mistake of going through his Twitter feed. He's literally posting the emails he's getting from the hospital's head of social media asking him to simply include the phrase "Views my own" in his Twitter bio. That's it. That's all he would have to do to be in compliance with the policy. And he's refusing to do it.

He's an idiot.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018 at 11:22 PM
  28. ThoracicGuy

ThoracicGuy Physician 2+ Year Member

Jun 11, 2013
    He's going against the white grain.

WingedOx, Lev0phed, PlutoBoy and 2 others like this.
  29. sb247

sb247 wait...you mean I got in? 5+ Year Member

Jul 5, 2012
    Galt's Gulch
    Some folks don’t want to be helped they just want to rage against something, anything

HomeSkool, Lev0phed, neoexile and 2 others like this.
  30. VanDiemen

VanDiemen 10+ Year Member

Sep 19, 2007
    White grain? Oh come on now. This is plain delusional. My younger cousin is in a state school on the west coast. In his class, there are probably only a handful of non-Jewish white kids. They might be the smallest ethnic group in the entire roster, depending on how you slice it. There are East Asian, South Asian, Ashkenazi Jewish, Persian, Black, Hispanic, etc. People are still acting like it's just a whole bunch of upper crust WASPs everywhere.

Medicine isn't some perfect meritocracy, but there is a reason so many immigrant parents like mine wanted us to be docs; this field is a lot more welcoming than other types of jobs/professions out there, and it is only becoming more so. Negative experiences can stick in people's heads, so one bad interaction overshadows ten thousand positive ones. I didn't do more than a prelim year in surgery, but it's the wrong field to be in if you're a attention seeker with a persecution complex, which I suspect Dr. Gu is.

I would suggest that you focus on being the best clinician you can be, and forget about trying to bully your white co-workers.

Goro likes this.
  31. Winged Scapula

Winged Scapula Cougariffic! Staff Member Chief Administrator Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 15+ Year Member

Apr 9, 2000
    hSDN Member
    Maybe he’s in the lab?

32. Winged Scapula

Winged Scapula Cougariffic! Staff Member Chief Administrator Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 15+ Year Member

Apr 9, 2000
    hSDN Member
    Oh my...so this changes my POV.

While I surmised earlier that he was a misfit as it appeared they were having trouble finding residents who would write him a good reference, now I suspect he’s been a poorly performing resident at Vandy, perhaps on the verge of being fired, and will use this attempt to claim that he was fired because of his social media activities.

Either that or he’s an idiot. It appears that Vandy simply asked him to post a blurb that his tweets do not represent them. This is pretty standard protocol, I even have it on my Twitter feed that my tweets on my own and do not represent those of my partners or a group.

There’s clearly more to the story than what we’re seeing and it’s hard to imagine that he would be this stupid and commit career suicide unless there was something else going on like he was on the verge of already been fired.

WingedOx and DokterMom like this.
  33. Goro

Jun 10, 2010
    I suspect that both of your suspicions are correct.

34. WingedOx

Nov 16, 2010
    The rabbit hole is even worse the more you dive into it. He's got supporters posting the phone numbers of the Vandy administration encouraging people to call and more or less harass them. I'd fire his ass for not clamping down on that alone if I were Vandy. If he wants to be a social media personality and have 124k followers, he needs to handle his social media like a grownup ensure that it doesn't get in the way of his professional obligations.

To a hammer everything's a nail, but I think there's some chronic MH issues at play. He doesn't seem the least bit insightful into his activities regarding this one way or another. He reminds me of a resident in my program back during my chief resident days. Perfectly capable of doing the nuts and bolts job of being a resident, but also had really odd boundary issues and professional interpersonal interactions to the point that we had to take some corrective action. Now imagining that kid with a 100k person social media following hanging on his every word.... [shudder].

35. KnuxNole

May 3, 2006
    Seriously......

Just do your job and take care of patients! His senior should have elbowed him harder!

I bet he didn't participate in his school's diversity council's festivities....cause that would involve being off of social media and no selfies involved.

Goro likes this.
  36. WingedOx

Nov 16, 2010
    Ok, this is certainly a mental health issue. Unfortunately it looks like it's gonna get a lot worse before it gets better for him.

37. ThoracicGuy

Jun 11, 2013
    I read somewhere that someone was trying to gin up support for him by saying he did 6 kidney transplants over the holidays... As if he did anything more than hold retractors and cut suture.

Winged Scapula and Goro like this.
  38. WingedOx

Nov 16, 2010
    Yeah, I think he's been indirectly overplaying his credentials, or at best allowing others to do it for him, which means I really can't give him the benefit of the doubt. Though I'm also a real stickler on that issue though to the point that I don't even approve of the term "student doctor" for med students because I consider it misleading.

ThoracicGuy likes this.
  39. Goro

Jun 10, 2010
    Agree 100% on your idea that MH issues are involved. But holy cow! If one of my students, or Faculty colleagues had the above going on, and they didn't fix it, their ass would be in the street after 24 hrs.

40. KnuxNole

May 3, 2006
    Fighting for his patients by wanting to be off on MLK day

Also, anyone speaking to their faculty like that in public in almost all programs will be having a sit down with the PD on maintaining professional behavior. Also with the posting of phone numbers and encouraging other keyboard warriors to harass people....this just screams insanity. He's not on Married to Medicine or Real Housewives, he's a surgery resident.

If E.G. was to be around my P.D. in residency, he'd be chewed out and torn to pieces...they don't play with that ****.

It seems most people on twitter are pro-Gu, talking about how Vandy and the medical field is promoting injustice.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018 at 12:24 PM
  41. WingedOx

Nov 16, 2010
    My impression is that he's just accusing random trolls of working for VU.

As for the number of people ready to jump in and believe him without the slightest hint of skepticism... yeah, that's just sad.

Goro likes this.
  42. ThoracicGuy

Jun 11, 2013
    They also seem to all believe that this is happening because of the picture of him taking a knee.

43. Raryn

Raryn Infernal Internist / Enigmatic Endocrinologist Physician 7+ Year Member

Apr 25, 2008
    I mean, that's what the article says. You can't lie to people on the internet, can you?

Do you mean to imply that it is FAKE NEWS?

HomeSkool, Winged Scapula and Goro like this.
  44. ThoracicGuy

Jun 11, 2013
    [​IMG]

45. WingedOx

Nov 16, 2010
    It's too bad that a certain forum regular isn't around lately who probably has some good info about this.

/no, please don't speculate publicly. you probably know who I mean and this person is actually good at maintaining their anon presence, unlike a lot of us.

46. KnuxNole

May 3, 2006
    I'm surprised buzzfeed hasn't eaten this up.

47. ThoracicGuy

Jun 11, 2013
    Winged Scapula likes this.
  48. mvenus929

mvenus929 Physician 10+ Year Member

Jul 6, 2006
    MDApps:
    This reminds me of a news story about a mom whose child was ruthlessly taken away from her and she arrested for child abuse when she was just trying to do the right thing because the child had a rare condition. Meanwhile, the hospital can't defend itself due to HIPAA. Those who saw her side of things (including the news reporters) were crying out injustice....

Goro likes this.
  49. captaincrunch

Oct 5, 2004
  50. neoexile

neoexile

Apr 30, 2016
    I'm going to say that I have the same political views that he does. However, when you are in the hospital, you are a physician first and a political activist second. You do not start fights with people at the expense of your colleagues or patient care. Leave it for after you leave the hospital.

And if you ARE going to protest, do it in a socially appropriate way. I wouldn't have gone as far as he did though. All I have time for these days is for me to post an occasional comment on some news article before going back into my 13000 flash cards of medical knowledge I'm trying to internalize so that medicine becomes second nature for me. He needed to be doing less of this protesting nonsense and more of what I'm doing, especially if he's a resident.

(And I'm sad that I'm agreeing with a lot of the conservatives here. But SJWs also irk me)

Winged Scapula, Max98 and Goro like this.
  51. PlutoBoy

PlutoBoy Sic transit gloria mundi 7+ Year Member

Nov 19, 2009
    Yikes! Eugene, stop posting. This is solid advice.

WingedOx, Winged Scapula and Goro like this.