Resident totally messed up gyn exam performed on me. How big of a deal is this?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Some of y'all need to calm down.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
What did you think happened at a Teaching Hospital if not teaching? As a person starting med school where do you think you are going to learn to do procedures? As to the insurance not covering the Gardisal-no way the resident would know what your insurance covers, but you should and if there was a question you could have declined. I wonder if a few years down the road you will change your attitude about residents , like when you are one. In the mean time find a private practice doc and sign up.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Thank you for your response.

I knew UVA is a hospital with an affiliated medical school. I did not understand that any patient seeking medical care at UVA hospital could potentially be treated by a student. I thought medical students learned procedures on volunteer patients. I have since learned that this is not the case, and I appreciate that this fact has been brought to my attention.

I now know that it is not reasonable to expect residents to know about insurance. This is also something I was previously unaware of.

It is true I could have declined the vaccine. Thank you for bringing that to my attention.

I am sure I will change my attitude about residents when I am one. Before today, I thought all doctors treating patients in hospital were capable of giving relatively flawless exams. I now know this is not the case, and will pursue routine screening visits at places other than teaching hospitals.

Reactions: 1 user
What did you think happened at a Teaching Hospital if not teaching? As a person starting med school where do you think you are going to learn to do procedures? As to the insurance not covering the Gardisal-no way the resident would know what your insurance covers, but you should and if there was a question you could have declined. I wonder if a few years down the road you will change your attitude about residents , like when you are one. In the mean time find a private practice doc and sign up.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

You think it's the patient's responsibility to figure out what's covered? If I order a PET-CT for early stage breast cancer, my patient will believe me and get it done. It's not indicated. So, they get the test, and the patient is responsible for the bill? Umm, no. If that's how you practice, you're doing the patient a disservice. Boo. Be aware of what's covered. Be aware of indications for tests. Be aware of what medications are formulary and which are not. Our patients are stressed out, have very little information, are dependent on our recommendations, and if you order something not indicated, be aware of the financial penalty that the patient will pay because of your lack of knowledge. When you screw up, you write it off or eat it. Don't punish the patient for your mistake or lack of knowledge of standard practice. The age of when you get Gardisil is standardized. It's not something that's drawn up in mid air by an insurance company.

Reactions: 2 users
Some of y'all need to calm down.

Hahahahaaaaa. Why would anyone calm down? I'm sure it's a lot more fun to endlessly berate me for making an empty threat to sue a resident in a moment of anger and humiliation!!

This has very eye-opening.

You think it's the patient's responsibility to figure out what's covered? If I order a PET-CT for early stage breast cancer, my patient will believe me and get it done. It's not indicated. So, they get the test, and the patient is responsible for the bill? Umm, no. If that's how you practice, you're doing the patient a disservice. Boo. Be aware of what's covered. Be aware of indications for tests. Be aware of what medications are formulary and which are not. Our patients are stressed out, have very little information, are dependent on our recommendations, and if you order something not indicated, be aware of the financial penalty that the patient will pay because of your lack of knowledge. When you screw up, you write it off or eat it. Don't punish the patient for your mistake or lack of knowledge of standard practice. The age of when you get Gardisil is standardized. It's not something that's drawn up in mid air by an insurance company.

Thank you for recognizing how much patients rely on their doctors for this type of information!!

Also, thank you for your kindness and empathy. I really appreciate it!!

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.