Resident writing letter of recommendation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Generalslim

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody this is my first post so stay with me. I'm in the midst of completing all of my secondary app's (I know it's late :rolleyes: ) anyway, MN isn't exactly a DO friendly state so my question is....Could I have my friend who is a second year Resident and a graduate of DMU write me a letter of recommendation? Is this poor form? Thanks for the input.
KP

Members don't see this ad.

When I was applying for my Internships, I had a senior resident write a letter of recommendation for me. As far as I know it wasn't a problem, but who knows, there may have been places that didn't like it.

I had a friend who was an intern at the time recommend me...it must've worked.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had a resident write my rec. But then again it was to Pikeville and they just graduated their first class last year, so I didn't have much of a choice if I wanted someone who had graduated. lol

I had a 1st year resident who had just graduated from medical school 4 months prior write my recommendation letter. None of the schools I know of minded and it really helped me get in. I think it really just depends on the quality of the letter, if they can talk about you like they 'really' know you and why you want to do this, it shouldn't be a problem.

Since most of you seem to be med students...I plan to minor in Anthropology and major in Bio. Is this a good combo? Minor was going to be Econ but I talked to a senior resident at Wayne State he said not a good idea.... Any input would be great. :confused:

Kimber

I would avoid it. Most people in the medical community feel that letters from attendings have more value than from residents. If you have the opportunity to obtain a letter from an attending vs. a resident, I would do so.