Residents and Attendings Dating

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Trauma Fluffer

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
We all know that if you are dating someone who is in no position to evaluate you or not in supervisory position, it is okay. Are there any repercussions an attending might suffer from dating a resident on a completely unrelated service (e.g., radiology resident and psych attending)? What sort of fall-out might the attending discover?

Members don't see this ad.

We all know that if you are dating someone who is in no position to evaluate you or not in supervisory position, it is okay. ...

It happens all the time, but it generally isn't "okay" and often is explicitly prohibited in some hospital employee handbooks. Employers generally don't like (and are legally advised to discourage) employee dating, because it is a "set up" for a sexual harassment lawsuit. What starts out as a mutual relationship can morph into an uncomfortable one when relationships go sour or somebody has gripes with an employer. Most employers with good legal advice try to avoid the drama by prohibiting inter-workplace fraternization for exactly this kind of drama and liability risk. So no, "we all" don't know that it "is okay". Lots of people go astray of this policy, but it is often policy.

It sure worked out well on Grey's Anatomy, right! Oh, wait...

Most hospitals prohibit this to cover their a--es,
but I have to say that this rule wasn't enforced AT ALL at my teaching hospital.
We had a resident who was the chief resident who was dating a medical student, and we had an attending in cardiology dating a medicine resident, who also became one of the chief residents. I personally don't care because I like to be left alone to do what I want, and I don't care what other people do as long as they aren't hurting me. However, I can totally see why hospitals try to protect themselves by making these types of rules.

Yeah, we had a PD and a chief resident (same program) who were dating at my school. They tried to keep it quiet, but everyone knew. She joined the faculty after residency, and I heard a rumor that they were engaged. I was a 4th year at the time, so I was only sporadically tuned in to the gossip. I have no idea what happened after that, but they're both still on the faculty, so either they got married or they parted amicably.

We all know that if you are dating someone who is in no position to evaluate you or not in supervisory position, it is okay. Are there any repercussions an attending might suffer from dating a resident on a completely unrelated service (e.g., radiology resident and psych attending)? What sort of fall-out might the attending discover?

Awesome thread from someone with the name "Trauma Fluffer."

Is there some studly trauma surgeon you have your eye on? Why settle for being the fluffer instead of the headliner?