Resident's family sells heirloom to pay for medical school debt

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gfunk6

And to think . . . I hesitated
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just saw this interesting article on Yahoo. A baseball Lou Gehrig hit for a homerun in the World Series was in this guy's family for four generations.

Maybe it's time to look through our attics?

Members don't see this ad.

From article: Either he had to go pay it off at 6 or 7 percent and never make any money or sell the ball. … We said, 'OK, let's go for it.'"

Wow, these people are out of touch with reality. He is doing ortho, he will make >250k at least.

American parents need to stop protecting their kids from debt. They raid their own retirement accounts just to be able to tell "my son/daughter has no debt".

He should have known what his debt was going to be upon exiting medical school. Let all boo hoo about how much he owes and not consider what his future income will be.

But if someone wanted to sell something to pay for my education, OK

Members don't see this ad :)
Why is it that a family with a combined annual income of $60K can purchase a $180K house with ease, but when somebody needs a loan of $180K to learn a trade that pays $250K annually, everybody goes ape**** and starts selling the family silver? Are there really that many doctors who only practice for one year as an attending before retiring?

This seems rather ridiculous. There has to be more to this story.