Residents living in house

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pocketofgold

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this is the historical basis of the "residency" label, but are there programs that still offer on-site housing? I recall a friend mentioning that this still existed somewhere, but I was wondering if anybody had specifics. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

pocketofgold said:
I know this is the historical basis of the "residency" label, but are there programs that still offer on-site housing? I recall a friend mentioning that this still existed somewhere, but I was wondering if anybody had specifics. Thanks!

There are programs that offer housing on site or within walking distance for subsidized prices and/or free.

pocketofgold said:

seriously, you don't want to live this close to work. You'll hate it. trust me. Besides that, the program housing is usually pretty geto. You have to have a life outside medicine!!! go live somewhere hip and cool so you're nit totally immersed in your work all the time. unless you want to be I guess.

CAMC in Charleston, WV has housing for their residents and medical students. They have about 20 2-3 bedroom houses and 2 apartment complexes that are subsidized as well. I live in one of the houses and it's really nice. You can't beat a 3 bedroom house for 540 a month plus lawn service. From what I heard from the residents the starting salaries are very good and they get a signing bonus.

pocketofgold said:

Yes. An EM residency affiliated with my school has a house. They even allow students on rotation to stay there.

Greenwich, CT, IM programs offers subsidized housing for prelims, and absolutely FREE housing for categoricals. It is in the walking distance, and it is for employers of the hospital. And, the apts are furnished, if one so desires. :thumbup: